• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

thomas576

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From our lfs. put it in the tank while i was out of town. got home, green macro algae all over. She thought it was pretty. now its everywhere. there is some calpuera (grape and green) and several other leafy vines things. Its growning fast and im not keeping up. what to do? any suggestions? its in all of my rocks

help!

fcmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tang is a pretty good suggestion as well as snails or what you have that
will graze it down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru two purple tang and they won't touch the caulerpa. I don't know about the rabbit, but I am not very optimistic. I would pull the caulerpa out by hand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Rabbitfish is only good for larger tanks.

But how long were you out of town that the tank exploded with caulerpa?

I'd yank the rock, yank the caulerpa... and probably deal with the fact you'll always have caulerpa in the tank regardless of what fish you put in to deal with it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thomas576,
:welcome:

I'd also like to know how big the tank is before we start recommending fish to handle the issue ;) , perhaps sfsuphysics' suggestion is a better one.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i guess blanket advice like add a fish is never good, lol. FWIW I have used rabbits in the past to controll calupera but when it got in my 40 breeder I just removed it by hand. Once my nutrients were under controll and I got as much as possible by hand I would use long tweezers to pull any additional spouts, sometimes this stuff has persistent roots that regrow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. Pull it by hand/tweezer. There are no guarantees that a tang or rabbit will eat it at all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plant some invasive weed in your wife's garden.

That'll learn her :D

thomas576

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons and i just pulled another 2 handfulls of random plants. i was reading about lighting cycles being cut but i don't want to stress coral/clams.

good idea about the garden to bad its under a foot of snow!

thanks for the suggestions :)

oh and i was gone for 4 months :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: