Luis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the story... I had a tomato pair, they used to laid eggs and everything but the female got a weird infection and she died a couple months ago leaving the male alone, he is three years old, I decide to get two more tomatos, why two? just in case, if one die during the shipping or something. I got them a month ago, they were small but they have lost the second band so they were not juveniles anymore (I think) then I quarantined them (one of them had something wierd, like a patch), during the quarantine period they paired, the male used to twitch as soon as the female approach him ... well ...the new female died three days after that (the one with the wierd patch). Yesterday I took the quarantined "male" and put him in the display tank in a cage floating around, today the other male approach and both are twitching!! (kind of funny).

The question #1 is: Will they fight if I take the small one out of the cage?

#2 ...Could the new clownfish complete the "sex change thing" in only two days?

I know the "sex change" is not reversible once it has been completed but I´m not sure if it is clomplete in the small one.

Any ideas...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female will be the larger one. She will bully and pester the male a lot at first and less later. The twitching is normal behaviour and is a way of determining dominance. I would also check your water parameters. Losing two clowns in a short period of time(ie. months) could be a sign of something wrong with water chemistry. I have had a tomato clown for almost 12 years now and have read that there was an aquarium that had a clown for 36 years. So, they are long lived creature.

I am not sure how long it takes, but once the transition starts the clown will act more and more female(dominant).

Luis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
Yep the problem here is both are twitching! No one wanna be the female :)

The parameters are ok I think the last female was sick since I receive her....

Supouse the new "male have complete the sex change .... the change has no return so could two males fight?... I want to put them together.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis":3j2e91vo said:
Thanks for the reply.
Yep the problem here is both are twitching! No one wanna be the female :)

The parameters are ok I think the last female was sick since I receive her....

Supouse the new "male have complete the sex change .... the change has no return so could two males fight?... I want to put them together.
all Clownfish are born male- the dominate one will become the female.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it free and they will hash it out. There may be some injuries though. Unfortunately, sometimes fatal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: