freedom75

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me out.. I am new to setting up salt water.. I have many new creatures living in my tank and more and more show up daily. However lately I have noticed worms in my tank that look Like minuture blood worms. I have never feed any blood worms to my fish All I have are 2 clowns can anyone possiblely tell me what they are and are they dangerous
icon_eek.gif
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

Larry Grenier

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably what's referred to as "spagetti worms" and they are good for the sand bed. If you get too many, I'll be glad to trade you a bucket of sterile sand for a bucket of yours
icon_wink.gif

zt allstar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too, but mostly in the rocks. They stretch out and feel around the rocks looking for stuff to eat. I think thats what they're doing anyways.

freedom75

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Both of those. I have a mix of both Crushed coral and a small bit of sand this is a 20 gallon tank. And I see these all through out the substrate. They are blood red and have many legs like a centipede I have never seen one on the surface of the substrate just down in it along the edge of the tank.
John

Anemone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you seeing these worms, and what color are they? If you're seeing them in the upper layers of your sand, and they're blood red, what you are probably seeing are the gills of a sand dwelling worm (Dr. Ron will have to tell us which one, I can't remember off the top of my head). If there are only one or two appendages, and they're more white or transparent in color, then I agree with the spaghetti worm idea. Either way, they're not a problem.

Kevin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: