Shalco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Hey All,
I just bought some live phytoplankton from wesley (on MR) and he planted an idea to culture it myself. So in order to do this, I need to buy a light, preferably for cheap, or trade some SPS for one. I need a light 14" or smaller, doesn't need to be powerful. Please let me know if you have one for sale or trade.
Thanks
Dave

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
I think this is what you are looking for http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...de-lamp-sale-trade-sps-frags.html#post1003635

I was the guy asking for SPS corals but just noticed that your frag sale are pending. I'm willing to trade the light for your frags and will take fresh cut as well for the equivalent $99 light value... LMK if interested. I'm in westchester. Light comes with used bulb and for your use should last quite a while.

Shalco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I think this is what you are looking for http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...de-lamp-sale-trade-sps-frags.html#post1003635

I was the guy asking for SPS corals but just noticed that your frag sale are pending. I'm willing to trade the light for your frags and will take fresh cut as well for the equivalent $99 light value... LMK if interested. I'm in westchester. Light comes with used bulb and for your use should last quite a while.

Thanks for the offer but much more light than I need more money than i'm looking to spend.. I'm hoping for a light in the $5 - $15 range, that is small (<14"), and doesn't need much power as it's only being used to culture phytoplankton.

I'll have some more SPS that I'm going to try to sell in a month or so, so keep an eye out for that.

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
Thanks for the offer but much more light than I need more money than i'm looking to spend.. I'm hoping for a light in the $5 - $15 range, that is small (<14"), and doesn't need much power as it's only being used to culture phytoplankton.

I'll have some more SPS that I'm going to try to sell in a month or so, so keep an eye out for that.

ok, I hope to see more from you but I suspect that in a month I'll be done with shopping. looking to load up now.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
The cheapest light you can get the job done right is the work light with a PC bulb.

The cheapest light to run and get the job done right is a LED PAR bulb or MR 16 bulb depends on the amount of plankton farm we are talking about.

I were now running my set with a sunlight plus a LED grow light bar.

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
go to home depot and get a light. thats how wesley i think had it from my last visit. He also used a two bulb t5 but had bottles lined up on it.

Yes, the ones from home depot will do. You can either get the t5 fixture there or just the cheapest single light bulb fixture with a reflector shield will do.

BTW, the HQI light is going to boil the water. I don't think that'll work. lol

You are basically just growing algae. Whatever does NOT work for the reef tank, it'll work great for phyto. Somewhere from 2500K to 4000K would be perfect. I think they call it warm white or something. Or get the grow light for plant if you can get them from garage sales.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: