• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D I'm brand new to this Forum and I decided to register on REEFS.ORG so that I can find out if anyone else has had success with SPS corals and clams using PC lighting only. Granted, my tank is only 40g and 18" high, but I get weird looks everytime I bring in pieces to trade at LFS when they find out I have PC's and no skimmer. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
The weird looks you saw are just indications of your LFS' myoptic view points.

It is very possible to keep SPS under PC lamp, and with low bioload, you can do away with skimmer all together.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your insight, Robin. I only keep one fish at a time. Perhaps I can get more replies if I describe my tank system:

40G built-in wet/dry
converted to algae turf (nutrient export by macroalgae and flame scallops in sump)
2x96 watt PC (12 hour photoperiod)
1x9 watt PC over sump (12 hour photoperiod opposite tank's)
40lbs of live rock (bare-bottom)
Various Acropora (table-top, staghorn, bushy)
1x5" Crocea
1x1.5" Maxima
1xRed Sea Purple Tang
15xsnails
30xhermits
1xcucumber
Rio Motion for wave action

I've evolved to this method about two years ago and have since had comparable growth to nature. 5% water change is done every 2 weeks. I supplement with Kent Tech CB and feed with Instant-Algae by Reed Mariculture Inc.

I'd like to know if there are any other Advanced Aquarists that might see a recipe for disaster in this method (like old tank syndrome). My goal was to create a natural reef crest environment, perfectly suited for what I'm keeping.

clk2609

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! looks like the PCs are working for you, are your clams and SPS near the top of tank?

oh, welcome to reefs.org

i do not have experience with just PCs and clams, sps

wally311

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome reefnutz!
FWIW, I have PC's on my 38, and had good luck with my first clam (t. deresa). However, my second clam (t. maxima) did not fare so well; died on the 2nd day :( . I blame myself for this though, I don't think that I acclimated him properly. Also, there is a guy at my LFS that has a 40G with PC's and sps corals are doing great! I think that it has to do with intensity, and how close the corals/clams are to the light. Jsut my $.02!

-Troy

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with many types of sps under PC until making the switch to MH, my 20 H had 220 W, (2x 10k, 2x actinic) but I did notice that even though I got good growth rates, they all seemed to brown up. I then switched to my current lighting and and getting good coloration. I have never tried a clam, and cannot say one way or another.
Joey

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies. The clams and acros are about mid-level, but my tank's only 18" high. I'm still debating whether or not to switch to MH/HQI. I have a 3 year-old and another on the way, and I'd like for them to enjoy the reef as much as I do. I've been warned about UV rays damaging effects on young eyes. Perhaps, I already know the answer.

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
If you use proper bulb, the glass/acrylic will shield almost all harmful UV out. If you are concerned, just make sure you put a regular glass shield to reduce the possible harmful rays.

I understand your concern, but the risk of the MH's UV is no higher than letting them look outside, assuming that you don't run a double-end bulb without shield, or a regular mogul bulb with a broken case.

Just don't let them touch those chemicals/additives/test kits (most are very toxic), and keep their finger away from hot bulbs, electric outlet, pump, fan, and other mundane hazards.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a lot of people feel that MH is the only way to go just because thats what they spent hundreds of dollars on. And that is what most people use for high light corals and clams. Granted that MH is needed for deep tanks, PC's are just as good in smaller tanks. Can I please hear about these Flame Scallops in your sump-fuge. I have read horror stories of these guys and would be interested in your experiences with them.
Welcome to reefs.org Tank sounds great
JJ

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robin,

Thanks again for the info. I've seen some MH system with and without the glass shields.

reefann,

I haven't heard any horror stories about flame scallops myself. I'd like to find out what you've heard. I don't keep mine in the tank. I have built in sump and I place the scallops in the unlit area where foam and carbon would normally go. I imagine they have some affect on the organics in the water. Plus, I feed microplankton regularly.

I read where Walt Smith used to see tanks with SPS corals run on just regular water changes and natural sunlight during the 60's and 70's. Of course we don't have the resources and conditions of those tropical areas, but I'd like to get as natural as possible. When I was younger, I couldn't afford a protein skimmer, high-wattage lighting, UV sterilizer, etc., but now I feel I don't need them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: