jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I talked to divers den, they don't qt their fish. I'm asking because where my qt tank is now will have to be moved soon. I won't have a new spot for it for awhile.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I called them last week and was told that they do not QT their fish at all. They will tell you what the fish was eating and the temp, salinity and ph it was kept at. It even says on DD to QT any fish from them. I always thought they QT them also, and that was what drove the price up. They told me the price was higher because the fish were eating and observed.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
They don't QT their fish that they buy off of their regular website, as they come from California, but they do QT and treat all the fish that they sell off of DD. I'm not sure who you spoke with but you need to speak with the people that run the fish and livestock area, not just the people that answer the phone. I know that they QT and treat their fish, as they wouldn't even ship a fish if it has a torn fin, which they'll call you up and tell you that they want to hold the fish until it's heel up before they ship it.

Here is a link to how they threat all the fish that they get:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
It says some fish are treated for a minimum of 2 weeks the fish are all QT off the same system. How can you treat for ich when new fish are constantly entering the system and others don't even stay for a full QT period? That's not what I would consider a QT.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It says some fish are treated for a minimum of 2 weeks the fish are all QT off the same system. How can you treat for ich when new fish are constantly entering the system and others don't even stay for a full QT period? That's not what I would consider a QT.

Do you understand what Quarantine is? It's not to treat the fish but to quarantine and observe them. Then if they have a problem during that period, they're treated. They also treat all their fish once they get them, which is listed in the link that I posted. Only when they determine that a fish is fine does it get moved into their main system, which for some fish can takes months.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
To properly QT a fish you need to run medication in the QT without introducing any new fish during that period. Otherwise you take the chance of introducing something new to the QT. The new fish might bring something in with it. If you are doing this on a large scale such as DD, then there really isn't a true QT just more of an observation period.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
An outbreak happens and you may or may not be infected, you are quarantined (observed and tested) for signs of illness and if you do THEN you get treatment

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
There are different thoughts of what QT is. Medication is NOT needed. You can simply just have the fish in a QT (quarantined) and watch it. If it gets sick then you can medicate. I am not a believer in medicating unless the fish needs it. When I put fish in my personal tank it goes into QT for observation.

I do agree with you that you cannot add anything else to that tank or you have to start the QT all over again. You don't know what you introduced with the new livestock.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Just like I said, you don't understand what Quarantine means. Here's a clue, it has nothing to do with medication or treatment.

I guess in my 20 years of keeping fish I have been completely mislead. Yeah right, as far as I can remember a QT was always set up to treat new fish if they show signs of disease or even if they don't. Only within the last 5 years or so have I seen people using QT to actual observe fish and if they show no signs of illness then people are putting them in the DT. I don't know how long you have been in but a QT has always been a medicated tank as far as I can remember, this is even before I kept fish and knew others that kept them and QT their fish. If you go by the true definition of the word quarantine then yes I understand where you are coming from. If you go by QT as in this hobby, then you are mistaken and have taken the word literally. Any experienced hobbyist with enough time in this hobby will understand where I am coming from. Sorry if you disagree with what a QT has always been to me and many others in this hobby for a very long time. I will always call a QT tank a tank used to treat and medicate fish before entering the DT.

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
People sometimes interchange the term QT (Quarantine) and HT (Hospital). If you simply do some searching online and read about each of them you will see that most articles will say that a QT is for observation. Some recommend hypo in the QT.

I think that Live Aquaria has some really good info (most of the time). They even say on there that a QT "may double as a treatment tank" or HT.

There are many people who believe that medication is needed in a QT. Each person can do it how they see fit. People interchange terms all the time, that does not make them right.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: