jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've had it with fish jumping out of my tank :irked:

I'm going to order some plastic mesh from internet mesh.
http://www.internetmesh.net/aquaculture.htm

they make plastic netting in all sizes, I'm going to use
one that has a 3/4" x 3/4" opening.

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is what to make the frame out of.
Since the mesh is plastic I could use plexi and just glue the mesh to the
plexi directly with weldon.
My other thought was to use aluminum and rivet a frame together.
The mesh could be zip tied through holes in the frame.
My tank has a top bracing, which is what the frame can sit on.
I'm leaning towards the plexi frame.

what do you think?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the mesh is made to withstand the sun, it's got uv inhibitors in it.
I also have fans in the hood, so it never gets that hot.

I don't think the wood will last that long, maybe something like teak, but you would have to care for it all the time. saltwater is hell on wood finish.

I'll ask steve to give his advice, thanks :)

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
didn't know that about the mesh.

the trim he uses is some sort of hard plastic or metal??? he was able to bend it very easily so it took the shape of his bowfront. you shouldn't have a problem since you have a square tank

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks sharn, i was about to post that.

i see one problem, feeding the fish with the mesh cover on will be hard.

the window frame material looks pretty simple to work with.
if there is a T bracket I will frame out one corner in plexi that can open and close.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
J i was plannin on getting fish netting from this fishing supplies store near me. 1/2 inch. Planning on doing the same but using oak sealed tight w/ a little door to open for feeding. Maybe without the door since its only 20x20" and easily can be taken off and put to the side.

Now just to get up off my lazy arse and buy the netting. =0(

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I too have been pondering a solution to this...as the wrasse made another successful leap...this time onto the floor & now my Gramma has joined in on the craze....

HD carries the sceen framing kits (might be difficult to find this time of year), and they are very simple to work with. They are hollow and don't take a large amount of stress, but don't spontaneously bend either.

JH's point regarding feeding needs consideration and I'm thinking about using lightweight SS hinges and making the entire first 6" accessible as I have a few corals that require target feeding. Undecided to make that panel an additional screen or plexi. Since my tank is not RR, I'll have to notch a piece of plexi around those first to create a lip for this to sit on.

Regarding the netting..I looked at the links and it is identical to fruit tree neting/pond netting only the color is different. Mine is black & available at most garden centers.
I'd also like to find one with 1/4" spacing as the wrasse came right up through the egg crate I have on there now (NOW I have fiberglass screening over the egg crate...) so I remain concerned about the 1/2" spacing.
Could possibly run 2 layers in the meantime.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yikes, the wrasse made it through the eggcrate Kathy?
what a PITA.
at 1/4 I would be worried the light is going to be cut down,
but what else can you do :arg:
now I'm wondering if the 3/4" mesh I planned on will be too
large.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
yikes, the wrasse made it through the eggcrate Kathy?
what a PITA.
at 1/4 I would be worried the light is going to be cut down,
but what else can you do :arg:
now I'm wondering if the 3/4" mesh I planned on will be too
large.
Yes Jonathan, must have gone through at just the right angle, plus he's still on the smallish side.

Interesting site Psycho. I got excited about one of the channels on there until I saw it was a $1000 min order for them...argh!...will have to explore this from other manufacturers.
I also like your idea of using a replacement frame as a basis for attaching the material. They certainly are inexpensive enough..and a perfect fit!

I just got back from shopping and did manage to find the screen frames at Ace Hardware, though they do not sell the additional 'L' clips needed to attach the frames together (pkg comes with 4 clips and 4-48" lenghts of aluminum framing). I bought some corner braces to use for the missing ones.
I'm not wild either about the aluminum frames but I can't babysit the fish this week (have to go to work!) and would like to still have that Wrasse and Gramma come Friday. If this works, you'll see pics up here later tonight. My plan is 2 individual covers that will sit within the frame, each having a flip up door for feeding. Wish me luck!

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey Jonathon, sorry for the delay, don't have access at work :(

I used the 1/2" one and used the aluminum frame from home depot. No problems at all, my wrasses are constantly splashing water on to the frame and i am always checking for corrosion. Was told that the coating on the aluminum protects it from corrosion.

Good luck, i'm making another one for my 125 :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Unfortunately I won't be done with this until Tuesday night. I need to get more of the corner clips as it looks like hell using the corner braces. I'm hoping they are available at HD as a separate item from the frame.
I am quite please with what I've done so far.The netting I'm using is 3/8", black, and is so 'fine' (yet strong) that it's impact on lighting will be negligible.
The other delay for me is the plexi for around my OFB & piping. I made the template but have yet to cut it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: