LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Really??? According to your router your Apex is 192.168.1.110??? And you have port 85 pushed to that address.....

Yes like I said theres more than 1 way to kill a cat main difference between my setup and yours is I dont use the useless dyndns account and I setup the apex to listen on the external ip address.

But you said my method didn't work I was just guiding him to steer clear of the junkware like dyndns which claims to be free but will cut you off if you don't click their link every xxx months. You bluntly called me out and said it wouldn't work which I beg to differ I just find this to be a better setup and not have to rely on garbage 3rd party services.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well you still dont need to use the DYNDNS, but easier to remember that sometimes than your IP. And you can use a small client computer side that will auto-update. And makes it easier for when you have your phone or other devices that you want to use. He wants to use the Android App, so that when his IP changes he needs to change the setting on his phone. Much easier to just just the DYNDNS so you wont have to change anything.

Some ISP's are changing IP's all the time. For me on FIOS it seems that my Lease is a pretty long time and I rarely change.

Novice users should be able to set it up once, and then leave it alone.

Even with my setup you can still use the public IP directly. It is the same thing. You are telling him to set the device with his PUBLIC IP. Your own image shows that you have your device with a different Static IP (internal).

Your router has the public IP address setting the device with the same address will cause a conflict. For in-experienced users creating conflicts it not the best thing. The point of a router is to route the traffic to your devices, so giving each device its own unique IP is much easier.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well you still dont need to use the DYNDNS, but easier to remember that sometimes than your IP. And you can use a small client computer side that will auto-update. And makes it easier for when you have your phone or other devices that you want to use. He wants to use the Android App, so that when his IP changes he needs to change the setting on his phone. Much easier to just just the DYNDNS so you wont have to change anything.

Some ISP's are changing IP's all the time. For me on FIOS it seems that my Lease is a pretty long time and I rarely change.

Novice users should be able to set it up once, and then leave it alone.

Even with my setup you can still use the public IP directly. It is the same thing. You are telling him to set the device with his PUBLIC IP. Your own image shows that you have your device with a different Static IP (internal).

Your router has the public IP address setting the device with the same address will cause a conflict. For in-experienced users creating conflicts it not the best thing. The point of a router is to route the traffic to your devices, so giving each device its own unique IP is much easier.

ISPs these days don't renew an ip lease unless there is typically a conflict on their end, or your left you're router off for more than 24 hours in which case it will automatically renew on it's own.
I've got a landline broadband service and my ip hasn't changed in over 4 years, can they renew it and change it? Sure they can, but it's an extremely rare occurance.

Also these companies like dynamic dns or dyndns are in the business of spamming not giving you a renewing ip address for free, nothing in life is free and they sell off your e-mail address to multiple companies when you open an account, that's why this is free. I try to steer people clear of ever using these services.

As far as conflicts it's not really conflicting at all because the Apex listens on the external ip all incoming traffic will get rerouted by the router first by default any incoming connection that tries to query port 85 is automatically sent off to the Apex.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
ISPs these days don't renew an ip lease unless there is typically a conflict on their end, or your left you're router off for more than 24 hours in which case it will automatically renew on it's own.
I've got a landline broadband service and my ip hasn't changed in over 4 years, can they renew it and change it? Sure they can, but it's an extremely rare occurance.

Also these companies like dynamic dns or dyndns are in the business of spamming not giving you a renewing ip address for free, nothing in life is free and they sell off your e-mail address to multiple companies when you open an account, that's why this is free. I try to steer people clear of ever using these services.

As far as conflicts it's not really conflicting at all because the Apex listens on the external ip all incoming traffic will get rerouted by the router first by default any incoming connection that tries to query port 85 is automatically sent off to the Apex.

Right anything that comes to port 85 on your router goes to 192.168.1.110 (or whatever it was) so that is the Apex's IP according to your router.

Take out that port forward and you will lose your APEX. So ultimately you are port forwarding your data from your public IP to port 85 pushing that to the APEX 192.168.1.110.

So anyway you look at it, you are doing EXACTLY what I told him to do, and we are skinning the same exact CAT!

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Right anything that comes to port 85 on your router goes to 192.168.1.110 (or whatever it was) so that is the Apex's IP according to your router.

Take out that port forward and you will lose your APEX. So ultimately you are port forwarding your data from your public IP to port 85 pushing that to the APEX 192.168.1.110.

So anyway you look at it, you are doing EXACTLY what I told him to do, and we are skinning the same exact CAT!

Yep, pretty much. I'm removing the images from my server since I think he's got it now. If you need anymore help just post a follow up.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Thirty5 and I have been trying to work at this since last night and this morning.

He tried with the angry ip and it didnt work. and when i use the flash utility it doesnt find my apex

I see...sorry to hear. I was answering your question under the assumption none of that has been done as it was omitted.

There's zero recollection of what IP you might've changed it to? Reading the above, there's a flurry of messages referencing routable and non-routable (private) IP ranges.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I see...sorry to hear. I was answering your question under the assumption none of that has been done as it was omitted.

There's zero recollection of what IP you might've changed it to? Reading the above, there's a flurry of messages referencing routable and non-routable (private) IP ranges.

Widdy.
I tried everything. We scanned multiple subnets. from 10.xxx.xxx.xxx to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

His router is reporting an unknown with the IP address 255.255.255.255 which has to be the APEX. Since there is no way to access that IP, the device is kinda bricked IMO. We tried everything to do a hard reset on the unit. But the only way to do it is to be able to access the device view web server (STUPID DESIGN if you ask me).

So with that IP as the static set by mistake then the hostname APEX is useless since 255.255.255.255 will not be recgnized by the router as a real device.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Widdy.
I tried everything. We scanned multiple subnets. from 10.xxx.xxx.xxx to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

His router is reporting an unknown with the IP address 255.255.255.255 which has to be the APEX. Since there is no way to access that IP, the device is kinda bricked IMO. We tried everything to do a hard reset on the unit. But the only way to do it is to be able to access the device view web server (STUPID DESIGN if you ask me).

So with that IP as the static set by mistake then the hostname APEX is useless since 255.255.255.255 will not be recgnized by the router as a real device.

Class C address segment designator would be the 3rd octet, so should be scanning 192.168.x.0 thru 254.

255.255.255.255 is not a valid IP as it's the limited broadcast address. It's used to send from 1 single host to all/many the hosts on the same segment. Doubt his Apex got that IP address unless intentionally set, even that would be very doubtful.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Class C address segment designator would be the 3rd octet, so should be scanning 192.168.x.0 thru 254.

255.255.255.255 is not a valid IP as it's the limited broadcast address. It's used to send from 1 single host to all/many the hosts on the same segment. Doubt his Apex got that IP address unless intentionally set, even that would be very doubtful.

I KNOW.....

Scanned all the address on the 192 and 10 because his local machine IP was a 10.

we then reset his router so that it went back to factory of 192.168.1.XXX hoping that we then could find the apex.

He was following a set of instructions to set static IP's.
I have a feeling that a mistake was made and set the unit to 255.255.255.255

You and I are speaking the same language, but most other people read this as chinese.

I think that it was a mistake and IP was mis configured....

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I KNOW.....

Scanned all the address on the 192 and 10 because his local machine IP was a 10.

we then reset his router so that it went back to factory of 192.168.1.XXX hoping that we then could find the apex.

He was following a set of instructions to set static IP's.
I have a feeling that a mistake was made and set the unit to 255.255.255.255

You and I are speaking the same language, but most other people read this as chinese.

I think that it was a mistake and IP was mis configured....

Where can I find a set of these instructions. Don't believe I have ever come across a set on instructions telling one to set their device IP to the b'cast address. Very intrigued...

I offered to take a look at it for Richard as he's 15 minutes from me... but no response. Oh well... best of luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: