• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

CONSTANTNE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's been over a year with my AI sol blues. My tank is 95% SPS and growing with no problem. I would recommend them in a second but cannot comment on the radions. I just saw them at the LFS and thought they looked good.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
If you want to make your own opinion come see my tank and you will see first hand. I have a 10ft tank lit by 4 Radions on one half and 4 AI's on the other. There is a considerable diference but I dont want to start an all out debate. However, without putting them side by side and giving them a month to really compare how are people giving educated answers ? Answer - they arent. I can give you an un bias opinion saying that the Radion hands down is a beter unit for the following reason. Light spread is much better, the whites give a much crisper brighter look(people coming from Mh will know exactly what I am talking about), shimmer lines much better, program is incredible, and last but def not least my corals look bettter. Do I feel they are worth the money they are asking......no but they are good....very good. And did I mention I ordered four more Radions.

Ask me how much better everything look with the superactinic VHO's on as well....:splitspin well that my friends is a whole other discussion.

I'm actually surprised.. I did a lot of research before buying LEDs.. And even people w radions preferred the ai sols.. Rc had a lot on this... I also ce from 1200 watts mh lighting. And mh could not grow what I'm growing now.. More than welcome to come see my tank..

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Btw not saying anything bad about the radions.. But w my research there was no option... I only have 4 units(2 units on each side of the tank that each two units covers 36 x 36 area 12 inches from the water) and they grow Sps on the bottom of the tank 42 inches away and this is not even at 75 percent.. Can't imagine what kind of LEDs will be out in the future!!

Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
I think it depends on what type of corals you are going to keep. IMO if you love zoas/palys, chalice, or just softies in general I would go with AI Sol. Granted I mostly have sps in my tank but My zoas grow at an unbelievable speed under ai sols. I used to hate buying zoas because I found that they either growed very slowly or would grow steady and then one day the colony would melt and be gone but not anymore. Even my hammer coral has split like crazy. However If your gonna go SPS I would def say go for the radion. I am friends with them on facebook and ecotech posted a pic of there gigantic office tank and the Red Planet was tabling and growing out of the tank. The tank has only radions on it.

solo

Got Vodka?
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally am debating this as well. Radions, AI Sol's/Vegas or the good old DIY route... DIY is by far the cheapest and I'm very technical, but I do like either option and would to see Closets tank under his Radions, as I have a car and getting to the island to me is no problem; I was even in Hicksville a few days ago installing a new hard drive on a clients pc.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Anyone hear anything on the new radions? I think the changed lenses for more spread and added more led's for 30% more light.
Btw, what was the lowest price you saw on the

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/16/tir-lens-radion-ecotech/

I think that the new radions are just doing this because the Vegas will be out soon.. It's all about marketing as it always is with every thing...(I'm not taking anything away from them)

I personally am debating this as well. Radions, AI Sol's/Vegas or the good old DIY route... DIY is by far the cheapest and I'm very technical, but I do like either option and would to see Closets tank under his Radions, as I have a car and getting to the island to me is no problem; I was even in Hicksville a few days ago installing a new hard drive on a clients pc.

If you can do a DIY then it would be the cheapest route .. But you would have to get or borrow some 1 par meter to see what kind of par you are getting.. Both of these companies have years of research and deal with aquarium it self. Echotech deals with a wider band of aquarium items .. But aqua illumination is strictly*lighting .

Last edited:

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i do not mean to jack the op's thread but i purchased my radion a few weeks ago. i do not have anything in my tank so i cannot comment about firsthand growth results. however, someone on another forum has had these lights since last fall. here are his results..

10/30/11 around the time he got his radion..
IMAG0731-1.jpg

6/19/12 most recent
DSC_1095.jpg

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
not to take anything away from that person's "results"... but the growth that you see are from birdsnests and pocillopora... both which are fast growers... under any type of light. The other sps corals are all add ins which some are slower growers. So how can you really use that as a basis for purchasing a light?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: