• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Guys/gals, someone has taken a dislike to my Marine Betta. All was fine up until yesterday. If you noticed by the pics June 6, the Betta was fine pic#1. Now yesterday he had a piece of his tail chumped on:eat:. This morning I find him looking like this pic#2. I have taken him out of the qt tank, and he is going to be the 1st. to go back into the 75 fowlr. But I am worried that the culprit will attack him once they all return to the 75FOWLR pic#3.

There is alot more hiding places, and double the room they have in the 30g QT. But I still worry. I am thinking of putting the betta in my reef, but I am scared that he will go after my wrasse, and or my shrimps.

What advice can you guys give me?

Attachments

• QTSHOTS065-1.jpg
    QTSHOTS065-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 311
  • marinebetta014.jpg
    marinebetta014.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 304
  • Scarfacepics6-3-07015.jpg
    Scarfacepics6-3-07015.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's very common to have a fish take a piece out of the tail on a marine betta. The 75Fowlr should be big enough, and have enough hiding space where the betta should be fine. Even then some fish will still take a piece out of the tail from time to time. The good news is it will grow back just fine.

As for putting it in the reef, will they're very safe, unless the shrimp or fish are very small. They have to be small enough for him to swallow, and that's pretty small. I wouldn't worry about putting him in the reef.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Then to the reef he goes, once he recovers.

Thanks Marrone!! By the way, it is more then his tail. All his fins where chumped on, and he's also got some nasty wounds on his body that don't show to well in the pic. I will be treating him with melafix in hopes that it will speed up the recovery period.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Poor guy looks like he stepped on a land mine.

But melafix is good to prevent any bacterial (and i think fungal) infections. If your water quality is good enough and you feed him regularly then he should grow back his fins in no time. Best of luck with him Awi :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Water quality in the 75 is awesome. It's been void of fish for the past two months I think, maybe a little less. All the fish got sent to qt:biglaugh: for the coming PBT's sake.:hug:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
poor betta. he looks big enough to hold his own. who could've done that to him?

Two guesses, but my money is on the Dogface. Dogface puffer or Bluethroat trigger.
And then again maybe it was the little pt that came back home.:eek:

Thank you Randy. Once he recovers I will definitely put him back in the 155.

Last edited:

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
That's a lot of chumping! Somebody went medieval on that tail. My (now Devious') Betta occasionally had a small piece missing - I always assumed he got it caught in some rock. It always grew back. As someone pointed out, they are very hardy, so it should recover ok.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
He is recovering nicely. Should be ready for the reef next week. His tail and fins are half way back.:wink1:

And yes they do recover, as long as the abuse is stopped in time. I had my first betta some 5 years ago killed by another grouper that took a dislike to him overnight. All was well for like a year, and suddenly I get up and the betta was torn to pieces.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
good to hear.
btw: how and what do u feed it?

He eats everything, anything you offer he will eat it as long as the other fish let him. Brine,mysis, clam, squid, prawns, silverside etc... Which is why I feed alot to make sure everyone gets to eat.:lol_large Just clean the tanks once a week. Trust me it is worth the extra little work.:wink1::hug:

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Bettas should probably be spot-fed as they're not agressive eaters. Mine always hung around while everyone else fed. I had to offer it food individually - krill and silversides, as well as pieces of frozen Formula 1 and Special Formula VHP. She's grab it and go hide in the rocks, and then come back for more.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Dmitry you spoiled her :cheekkiss. My bettas always eat, I make sure of that. But I don't spot feed. Mine would start by watching everyone eat, then it would come out and eat. I guess mine use the other fish as tasters:wink1:.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Dmitry said:
Bettas should probably be spot-fed as they're not agressive eaters. Mine always hung around while everyone else fed. I had to offer it food individually - krill and silversides, as well as pieces of frozen Formula 1 and Special Formula VHP. She's grab it and go hide in the rocks, and then come back for more.

Dmitry: You did spoil her!
Now she expects me to do it!

:D

She does exactly what you just said.
I feed her Krill & Silversides with my Tongs & she creeps out for more.
1 more thing that needs spot feeding in my tank is no biggy.:)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Dmitry: You did spoil her!
Now she expects me to do it!

:D

She does exactly what you just said.
I feed her Krill & Silversides with my Tongs & she creeps out for more.
1 more thing that needs spot feeding in my tank is no biggy.:)

Or you could re-train her. Do you guys think there is a giant hand in the ocean with a pair of giant tongs running around spot feeding.:wink1:

:hug:

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just a little update on the Betta!!

Two months later! Happy as can be in the reef! Please excuse the blurry pics.

Attachments

• newfish072.jpg
    newfish072.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 102
  • newfish070.jpg
    newfish070.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 98

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Very purty.

Devious: When I got her she didn't eat frozen. After a few weeks of live brine she finally started taking prepared foods, but I had to offer it to her individually to do it. I guess I never even tried to get her to eat on her own, but watching her while everyone else ate it never looked like she'd jump in to get her own. I hope she's doing well!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just thought I'd give you guys/gals and updated pic of my marine betta. She is so comfortable in the reef that she is often out, and about. Most unlikely for Marine Bettas as they are pretty shy.

Attachments

• October 5,2007 011_640x480.jpg
    October 5,2007 011_640x480.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 76

reefnewbe

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
betta's are awesome.

i had one for 3 years in a 90 gal. (Until the clown trigger did him in :banghead:)

(mine used to curl his tail and strike his food when he ate, cool to watch)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: