h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as the title says,they have been put on the endangered list because of the aquarium trade

here is the list it is on http://www.iucnredlist.org/info/gallery2007#home5

About two years ago on another forum that I was a part of(now taken down)I saw a thread explaining the mortality rates of Banggai cardinals and their diminishing populations, well the lady who posted it was right and now they're endangered. I can't find any kind of article discussing their mortality rates but if you google it you will find alot of people agreeing that WC banggais tend to die for no reason due to stress of shipping and capture.

Also now they are endangered due to their very small range in the wild and...well basically people like us.

Fortunately they are bred easily and if you want one you don't have to harm the environment to have one.But people are still buying them WC either because they don't know what their doing, or they care more for their wallet.Now that you know what's going on please do your part by either not buying them or getting tank-raised ones(or even better,breeding them:approve:) which will in the end,probably save you money because they have a smaller chance of dying for no reason.

I was wondering if the vendors here are doing their part as well?

Liveaquaria is, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2672 :smile: I will be buying 3 as soon as they restock to get a pair, anyone interested in the one that ends up being the odd one out?

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red listing like this doesn't effect anything really. It's just a group saying the animal is threatend/endangerred, but the group lacks any teeth nor is it reconized as a governing body by most countries. The CITES Appendix II listing that several countries shot down would have meant something though. Hopefully it can still get listed as CITES Appendix II so it's export is highly regulated. As it stands, it's business as usual for Bangaii wranglers :(

CB of them is semi easy, but doesn't yield much in way of numbers. As far as being a viable commercially bred animal, it's still a ways off :( If it where, ORA would have produced a lot more then they have. Local breeders can displace the demand though and I hope more jump up to the plate. I know one store that hasn't sold a wild in years as their efforts have produced enough babies to fill their own needs :)

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red listing like this doesn't effect anything really. It's just a group saying the animal is threatend/endangerred, but the group lacks any teeth nor is it reconized as a governing body by most countries. The CITES Appendix II listing that several countries shot down would have meant something though. Hopefully it can still get listed as CITES Appendix II so it's export is highly regulated. As it stands, it's business as usual for Bangaii wranglers :(

CB of them is semi easy, but doesn't yield much in way of numbers. As far as being a viable commercially bred animal, it's still a ways off :( If it where, ORA would have produced a lot more then they have. Local breeders can displace the demand though and I hope more jump up to the plate. I know one store that hasn't sold a wild in years as their efforts have produced enough babies to fill their own needs :)

Ya I was sad to see that article, and yes,that is the main reason I made this, to educate and have local people doing their part.

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thats new to me. The past year those fish were on the cover Aquarium magazine. I dont have those fish since i dont know much about them. thanks for the input.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:eek:You Talking To Me!!!!!!!!!
IMG_1566.jpg

My Favorite fish. I've had him for about 4 years. If they need to re-:bunnies:populate he's ready!!! :lol2:

Here's another pic
IMG_1576.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: