• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JawfishJunkie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi,

A LFS (I`ll keep the name anonymous) was advertising Green Filefish as ReefSafe Aiptaia Eating machines.

Please give me the straight dope on this ASAP. My nusiance anemone problem is out of control. The bottled stuff is just Carpet-Bagger Snake-Oil, Copperbands often croak at the drop of a hat (plus my Purple Tang will shred it), Bergias and Peppermints are expensive and no guarantee,..............yada,yada,yada.

Please let me know about the FileFish first, then the general aiptasia insight.
At this point I`m considering putting an Auriga in there. I only have a few SPS as visual accents. I`m not really cultivating them.

thanks.............

jab161

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i dont know about the file fish but my 150g had a lot of aptasia, I picked up 8 LARGE pepermint shrimp from manhattan aquarium about two months ago. Even with 7 of them being eaten by my fish i have not seen 1 aptasia. this is the only thing that worked for me all of those chemical treatments suck.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I picked up 2 from that store last week, so far they have been pretty mellow. They have not touched anything in my tank, but they haven't eaten any aptasia yet either. There are a few members on this site that have used them with sucess

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
They will eat your shrimp and I have had one bite at Duncans. Other than that no problems observed over a 3+ year period. You can search their scientific name to get more information: Acreichthys tomentosus

Remember, they can only eat the aptaisia they can get to.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: