regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I got CO2 tank and Cal reactor from a fellow MR member. The tank is brand new. It emptied out over thankgiving last year when I went out of town for 2 weeks. So, I was in a hurry to get it refilled because I didn't know how long it was running empty. (It was not empty when I left) So I reserached a few places to have it filled. Since I work in brooklyn and this store in Yonkers closes at 4pm, I have to go to this place in brooklyn called Liberty gas. Well, they swaped out my tank to a much older one. OK, no big deal, tanks are tanks. I was not happy but I need it quick. Now, my tank is empty again. I tried to get it filled y'day in Yonkers. But I realized that the tank dated back to 1996. As you may know, the tank has to inspected every 5 years, so the new place refused to fill it (I don't blam them). And it'll take them 3 weeks to get it inspected. When I come to think of it, Liberty charged me also an inspection fee when they swaped out my tank. I would think at least they will give me an updated one. That didn't happen. The only thing I can do now is to bring it back to them and swap out another tank. That really sucks. Don't let that happen to you.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Melt said:
i fillmy gas there .and they alway swap it out with no problem....you must demand it ..and they will do it...

You are missing the point. If I give them a new tank, at least they should give me one that is not 10 years old such that I can't get it fill any where else without getting it inspected. Look at your tank and see the month and year on it. I bet if you take it elsewhere, they will not fill it for you if it is more than 5 years old. Now, you are stuck with Liberty.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
regal said:
Liberty charged me also an inspection fee when they swaped out my tank. I would think at least they will give me an updated one.

Why didn't you look at the tank for the inspection sticker they charged you for? I understand your plight, and there seems to be a bit of a problem with the way Liberty handled it, but as a consumer you also should be conscious of them trying to 'pass off' an illegal tank to you. Since it had no updated sticker, it qualifies for uninspected and illegal, just as if you brought it to them that way.

master

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Same thing almost happened to me. The audacity of these guys.

My story:
I show up with a brand new Aluminum 5lb tank looking to have it filled. So they offer to swap it out for a filled one that looked like **** and was twice/three times as heavy (it was steel). You could almost see the guy salivating at the prospect of acquiring my new tank. Well after seeing the tank they were offering (I would be revolted to bring it in to my apt), I said no thank you and went to leave. It was only then that the guy then offered to fill with my new tank (something that is easy to do as you wait 5 minutes).

THE SOBs!!!!!!!!! almost got my new tank, now I laugh at them when they propose the swap.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
jhale said:
I don't understand, liberty gave you back a tank that was not inspected?

No inspection sticker I can find. May be the tank is filled so long ago i.e. between 1996-2001. I think it is only illegal for them to fill the tank which doesn't have an updated inspection but not to swap it because technically, they did not fill an expired tank.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Why didn't you look at the tank for the inspection sticker they charged you for? I understand your plight, and there seems to be a bit of a problem with the way Liberty handled it, but as a consumer you also should be conscious of them trying to 'pass off' an illegal tank to you. Since it had no updated sticker, it qualifies for uninspected and illegal, just as if you brought it to them that way.

master

That was the first time I had to refill a CO2 tank. I'll go there tomorrow and see what they have to say.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
solbby said:
Same thing almost happened to me. The audacity of these guys.

My story:
I show up with a brand new Aluminum 5lb tank looking to have it filled. So they offer to swap it out for a filled one that looked like **** and was twice/three times as heavy (it was steel). You could almost see the guy salivating at the prospect of acquiring my new tank. Well after seeing the tank they were offering (I would be revolted to bring it in to my apt), I said no thank you and went to leave. It was only then that the guy then offered to fill with my new tank (something that is easy to do as you wait 5 minutes).

THE SOBs!!!!!!!!! almost got my new tank, now I laugh at them when they propose the swap.

That was Liberty also?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Look for another "stamped" date around the neck of the bottle, most used tank will have multiple stamped numbers from testings.

I don't think any gas distributor have the ballz to stock tanks that are not properly hydro tested, it is a federal crime to sell filled and expired gas tanks because the DOT regulation. Another thing you can do is just bring it in and tell them you got the tank from them(should have their name painted or on a sticker) and they should swap you with a filled tank.

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i write my name under my tankand Itell them it's a customer tank and she is a b***h with her things....last week my tank blow out and I return it to him and they change the safety valve for me for free....

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
There are many theories on Hydro testing tanks. Some feel that by putting the tank through that kind of test is bad for the tank it stresses it and could possibly cause it to fail later on down the road, others state that it isn't bad and causes no damage whatsoever.

All in all if a company gave you a tank to use and it doesn't have a test date it is safe to assume that the tank is tested and current. They cannot afford it to be otherwise for liability reasons.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
All in all if a company gave you a tank to use and it doesn't have a test date it is safe to assume that the tank is tested and current. They cannot afford it to be otherwise for liability reasons.

But the problem is that other places won't fill it assuming it is not up-to-date.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
He's trying to strike again. I gave up dosing 2 parts and pull the trigger and got an used deltec 601S. I still have my old reactor and accessories. The CO2 tank emptied out pretty quickly so I took it back to my "trusted" (being surcastic) store Liberty gas in broolyn. The guy told me he didn't have any aluminum tank left and had to give me the steel tank. I said no and asked him to fill my tank and he said he was not allowed to do that. Well, after a few more minutes of negoitation, he said by the way he might have one from another customer. WTF, what am I, dog meat? I am a customer also. So he went to the back and then came back with an aluminum tank with a label, "Liberty gas" on it just like my other tank. It is a different one b/c it has a handle on it but similar conidtions. NICE TRY!!! :irked:

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
tanks need to be hydrostatic tested every five years( scuba tanks, 02 tanks, fire extinguishers and basically any tank that get pressurized)
Scuba tanks need to be visually inspected yearly also
there should be a stamped date and the company that does the test has a unique symbol they stamp to identify themselves

Brendan is correct that some believe it hurts the tank it's for the safety of the guys filling the tanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: