Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
JT101
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
JT101 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Long Island No more filter socks.....?????

OK, before everyone “dogpiles” me for spouting this heresy this I have been doing a lot of “research” on the benefits of having and NOT having filter socks, and I’ve come to the conclusion that they are beneficial and they are a detriment at the same time. This is based upon MANY threads I've seen all over the web where there are proponents of (and detractors of) filter socks. I tend to fall in the latter category after all this reading. Why?
  • Filter socks keep water crystal clear by removing suspended silt, sand, “mulm” and detritus from the water column. Filter socks also KEEP this same unwanted material in the water and allow trapped “mulm” and detritus the opportunity to decompose until it’s so small that it passed through the filter’s mesh anyway, and even before that the water is being continually polluted by this material as is decomposing.
  • Filter socks are beneficial in keeping water clarity pristine be exporting the material they can catch and getting out of suspension in the water column. Filter socks also must be changed regularly – if they are not, they become bacterial breeding grounds. Even when you DO change them out, the stuff has already been in there for X period of time - it's not getting any less decomposed as it sits there, even for a day.

The way I look at it, AS LONG AS YOU ARE DILIGENT at removing filter socks on a VERY short-term basis – say, 2-3 days max – they are probably OK, but they do not continually export material, they only hold it "off to the side, so to speak, until you intervene and change the sock out.

Now here’s my idea: Remove the filter socks and allow the skimmer to gunk-up a little faster because now it’s going to see water with more suspended crap in it. This should result in gunkier skimmate which is CONTINUOUSLY BEING EXPORTED instead of just “held” as in the case of a filter sock. The idea here is to remove instead of just sequester

OK, I’m ready – let me have it !

-John
Reef Octopus Diablo XS160P skimmer
Vortec MP10
2x 150W Eheim Jager Heaters
2x Two Little Fishies PhosBan Reactor (1 with BRS ROX 0.8 carbon, 1 with BRS High-Capacity GFO)
Neptune Systems Aquacontroller III
70lb sugar sand
27lbs Fiji Rock
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Water General 6-Stage RO/DI (change resin every 6 months, all other components yearly)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
fishman1069
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (31)
I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I had my 75 up and running. I ran it for the first year without one and then started using it. I changed them every 2-3 days and it was a PITA. After about 3 months of doing that and alot of research, I removed them completely and my tank was better. I had much more skimmate coming from my skimmer and my nitrates started going down. This was also around the same time I set up my 30 long display fuge, so that could be the explanation on the drop in trates. I think filter socks are more trouble than the are worth

Renegade Reefer
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Awibrandy
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (142)
Awibrandy is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
I prefer not to have to vacuum the bottom of my sump, so the socks stay. Even though they are a PITA to change out every other day. Plus they keep spray down so no more salt creep on my door.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
FlyTekk
KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Reefer Ratings: (46 (98%)
Friends: (19)
FlyTekk is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
Filter socks also catch alot of beneficial life. But emptying skimmer cup or rinsing filter socks... basically a matter of preference. Skimmer cups need to be wiped clean, expecially the neck. The mesh sock gets rinsed out the same way. Some people like to do more to have added filtration. Skimmer also removes beneficial life from tank. All that gunk on my sock when i remove is taken out of system. Anything that decomposes like u say or disolves to smaller particles, the skimmer can handle. I dont mind using socks, skimmer, and carbon. And even gfo. Skimmer also aerates and helps with PH. Carbon takes out chemicals as well as organics. And The filter socks catch bigger pieces that if not caught would clog my carbon and make my skimmer sludge up faster. :0)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM
mbg75
DIATOM MAGNET
Reefer Ratings: (26 (100%)
Friends: (21)
mbg75 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Yea, the filter socks hold stuff, but so does the tank if you don't use them. The stuff the socks catch would just end up sitting in the dt, fuge, sump etc. How often are people cleaning their tanks and sumps?
Change them every few days otherwise there is no sense in running them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
albano
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (49 (100%)
Friends: (79)
albano is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
I have 2 returns to the sump...1 has a xl sock that is changed EVERY day, the other is 'open' and feeds the skimmer area.
Average time to remove and replace sock...less than 10 seconds!

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
peteyboyny
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (11)
peteyboyny is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Yeah...I dont see what all the fuss is about, takes no time at all to change a filter sock. not really that much of a PITA. If changing it out every few days is really that much of a pain...maybe its time to make it easier.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Imbarrie
PADI Dive Inst
Reefer Ratings: (29 (100%)
Friends: (26)
Imbarrie is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
You had me for a little while there. I almost contemplated taking my filter socks out. But this only works well for some.

My sump, however, would get silted over in a couple months. This would certainly disrupt the tank and affect overall stability not to mention the better part of a weekend afternoon spent cleaning it out.

Would much rather take a couple minutes once a week to change a filter sock.

My tank thread
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...next-tank.html

iPhone YouTube videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BazzaH2O?feature=mhee

Is it centrifugal or centripetal force?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Awibrandy
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (142)
Awibrandy is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyboyny View Post
Yeah...I dont see what all the fuss is about, takes no time at all to change a filter sock. not really that much of a PITA. If changing it out every few days is really that much of a pain...maybe its time to make it easier.
I said it is a PITA for me, because I have issues with my knees & back so I can't kneel, or just bend over which would make it easier. Not to mention that my sump is not the best either. Drains are awkwardly placed for the socks. One day I will make myself a better sump.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
ClosetFishGeek
Reefer Ratings: (46 (100%)
Friends: (70)
ClosetFishGeek is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
My filter socks(all 8 of them) take 2 minutes to change In adition, the way my sump is designed only a very small peice of the sock actually touches/submerged in the water. As a result even if my socks are completely clogged its not soaking in the rest of the sump water. And if they get clogged to the point of no return the water is diverted automatically. I will never run my system without them.

Last edited by ClosetFishGeek; 02-17-2012 at 09:42 PM..