Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
nyshoots
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (1)
nyshoots is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Low PH and dkh ????

I'm not to concerned because all my corals are doing fine but my parameters are as follows

Salinity 1.026 refractometer

Temp 78.8

PH 7.8 API

Nitrate 0 API

Phosphate 0 salifert

Ca 420 salifert & red sea pro

Dkh 6.7 - 7.0 salifert & red sea pro

Mg 1400 red sea pro

Test done at 1pm 3 hours after daylights came on 1 week after last water change.

I don't know if I should start dosing or doing small daily water changes to keep levels up and stable ? My tank is only 29 gallons so doing a daily 1 gallon change wouldn't be to bad ???

I have a mixed reef with a lot of sps

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
CoralMeister
The Flying Reefer
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (7)
CoralMeister is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Since you have only a 29g , its not surprising you have a slight swing in parameters, which is not such a bad one either. Do weekly water changes, not daily, because there is a risk you might swing your parameters even more if you do daily water changes in such a small tank volume. You mentioned a lot of sps and mixed corals, and thats the reason for low Dkh , following low calcium levels. So the solution IMO is: weekly water changes and set up a daily dosing regiment of Ca and Alk. Follow up on test results weekly and check to see if they have somewhat stabilized.

Hope I help

55 Gallon SPS reef - 2 Modules AI SOL Blues/ Skimz E-Series internal

The Lawyer’s Creed: “A man is innocent until proven broke.”

"A salad costs 7 dollars and a burger costs a dollar.....and we wonder why america is fat."