bignick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i have a 34 solana with 20 galllons of water tops and want to run gfo and carbon. can i just buy a single reactor from little fishies or brs and put the two in the same reactor. i know gfo would have to be first and be tumbled low so i figured with such a low water volume i would use little media.

thanks in advanced nick

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I would buy 2 seperate or at least a BRS dual reactor- it will make keeping the proper flow rates for both much easier and I think you'll get better performance out of your media that way.

1+ i just set up a carbon that's running on its own pump while i have another reactor that's running my gfo on hes pump as well. But its not a good idea do switch back and fourth with carbon and gfo. after your gfo while get liquidity if im not mistaking and if it goes your DT it will mess up your whole system up. that's not a good picture either especially coming out and seeing your DT a different color.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
1+ i just set up a carbon that's running on its own pump while i have another reactor that's running my gfo on hes pump as well. But its not a good idea do switch back and fourth with carbon and gfo. after your gfo while get liquidity if im not mistaking and if it goes your DT it will mess up your whole system up. that's not a good picture either especially coming out and seeing your DT a different color.

Huh?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I don't know what you meant by that post. Kindly asking you to edit that into English.

There are plenty of products out that mix GFO and GAC. And they work exceedingly well in small to medium sized tanks. Even taking into consideration the flow gradients between the two components.

Last edited:

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I don't know what you meant by that post. Kindly asking you to edit that into English.

There are plenty of products out that mix GFO and GAC. And they work exceedingly well in small to medium sized tanks. Even taking into consideration the flow gradients between the two components.

What I was trying to say is that not to use 1 reactor only for 2 things to be used and keep on changing it back and fourth.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0

I agree. On such a small system. A small amount is going to go along way. Having gfo and carbon in one reactor should be just fine. I would make sure both media gets rinsed of loose material and dust and that u do not push too much flow through the canister causing either media to break down in the reactor. Just food for thought. Trying to run one canister on a nano is hard enough. No need for two.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
In a tlf reactor you can put GAC on the bottom. Then a sponge. GFO on top of that, and finally a sponge way up top. That way the GFO can still tumble.

It's the same concept as CPE.

Its not ideal as the GAC exhausts faster than the GFO.

You won't need much for your tank size

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: