Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I recently purchased a valentini puffer. He is a little guy and I am having trouble with getting him to eat.. I have tried Mysis, freeze dried shrimp, flakes etc and it seems like hes not going after anything. What would you guys recommend feeding him? Again he is a baby and can hopefully have him grow up without touching any inverts.

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
he maybe eatting your coral when your not looking .... i feed mine mysis, chopped up shrimp and clams . i also have tried whole clams he picks at them from time to time they are good for grinding down its teeth. i have had mine for about 3months leaves my corals alone but i know there are know to pick at stuff .

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Like I said he's new to the tank he's a very mellow peaceful little guy, I've been keeping my eye on him and haven't seen him really peck at anything. I just want him to start eating and etc. You go and buy clams at the store and chop them up raw?

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i get frozen clams for my lfs and ill get raw ones for the fish market .i also put a few drops of garlic extract in with the mysis. my puffer didnt really eat the 1st day or so give him some time

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
is probably my favorite fish i have ever had , eats from my hand and is always at the glass checking things out

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I Mean he is a tiny little guy and only been in the tank for 2 days but he wouldent even go after the mysis. What exactly do you feed him

i feed a home made mix of shrimp, fillet, clams etc.
i also take fresh clams or muscles, split them and drop in the tank. the puffer and all my fish pick at them. you can also freeze the fresh clams and muscles and then feed whole.
and they will pick at your snails.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Thanks for the response all. Yeah BF once I saw him I fell in love with him hoping to get him to eat and then ill be happy. He is certaintly a cool little guy though he just hangs out and checks everything out.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Just an update when I didn't have anything last night I tried the minced clams from the can and he pecked at them.. Today I went out and brought brine shrimp and more Mysis as well as garlic. Took a cube of each for both of my tanks let them defrost and soaked in the garlic and turkey basted it into the tank.. The puffer went crazy for it as well as everyone else. I am happy now. Tomorrow I will try a full chopped up clam and see if he feeds from my hand. Thanks for all the input guys.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I feel like my hermits and snails are slowly disappearing.. I wonder if its this little guy. Anyone else have a problem with this? I cant blame him fully because I haven't seen him peck at anything but I have no idea what goes on at night. Could either be him or my melanarus. My question though, is I want to add some cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp. Is this a bad idea?

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Mine dosnt seem to interested in snails. I have 2 coral banded shrimp , pompom crabs and a gorilla crab no issues so far. If he gets bigger I think the crabs maybe in trouble .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: