tomjof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Okay so my tank I've had Ick in it for awhile. I haven't lost a single fish to Ick but usually at night I see a few specks of it on my clown tang, saw tail tangs, and yellow tang. None on the kole, fairy wrasses, Midas blenny, and foxface. I was wondering, besides taking out all the fish what's the best way to control it in a reef tank. It's a mixed reef so most medications will kill coral

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Outside of using copper or Hypo there really isn't anything else that is going to work in a reef tank. If you can't treat the best thing to do is put on a UV, increase the flow in the tank, as this will keep the Ich that settles moving and hopefully it will go into the overflow. I would also use a good filter sock, this will help to trap any of the Ich spores that get swept up into the overflow. Finally make sure your fish are eating well, you can try adding Lugosi solution. These things wouldn't get rid of the Ich but they will help and possible reduce it.

tomjof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yea the fish are eating really well, I soak all the food in selcon and give them a varied diet. I've had Ick in the tank for many years maybe about four but it's just kinda annoying. I've never lost a fish to Ick. Would putting a uv sterilizer on the tank affect the the reef life at all

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Focus on good nutrition, good water quality, and a stable environment. My fish get ick from time to time, but it never lasts, and I never lose fish from it.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
UV sterilzer kills good and bad bacteria. Some people like it as high percentage of UV users note increased water clarity. Otherwise, I don't think it is necessary.

Stablize everything and feed your fish. Don't try too much if they are eating. If you don't stress them out and keep everything in good condition then it will likely pass. Healthy fish will be able to fight it off. I had the issue not too long ago and did just what I stated and after all my fish that were not cover over with it survived with no issues and no returns. I removed the hippo that brought it into my tank and it died while I was trying to give it away. My son, 2 year old, was the main cause of it dying placed things into the bucket before I could give it away to someone who wanted to deal with QT and hypo.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
The only way to eradicate ich in a reef is to remove all the fish and QT them and let the tank run fishless for that time....QT all new fish.... But for us with large tanks that's almost impossible so all those methods do work and help especially proper nutrition.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
The only way to eradicate ich in a reef is to remove all the fish and QT them and let the tank run fishless for that time....QT all new fish.... But for us with large tanks that's almost impossible so all those methods do work and help especially proper nutrition.

+1, i think the Best way, remove all the fish, QT. i find up Cooper works the Best.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: