Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello guys and gals okay I'm gonna get right to the point, so i have a 220gal reef tank SPS dominate and i want to put a Morish Idol in it so I'm looking for advice from people that might nave one in there reefs and whats the ups and downs, I've read that they can be kept with caution as any other fish but what are my real dangers please folks looking to get this weekend for my Daughters Bday

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I had a pair for over a year but I had softies at the time. Eventually they gained an appetite for them and I sold them. Now that im sps only I might give it another shot. If your sps only go for it. If your softies dont bother. My 2 cents

alron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have one in my 110 gal tank im keeping sps with only few lps. So far its been good never touch my maxima clam and may only pick zoas but doesnt really harm them. Its been eating nls pellet and drozen mysis shrimp. They said thats d most challenging part in keeping them to eat am just lucky that i got one thats already eating frozen foods atleast. My moorish idol has longer streamer now frim d time i took it home. Its very awesome to watch gliding along d tank thru d caves and open water. Its just a joy to watch them.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I had one for 5 years, I will never buy another one. Their appetite on a healthy one at least is more voracious than any other fish I have kept. That fish ate all day and if I didn't keep the tank stocked with nori and multiple feedings it would look thin and sickly. I had to up my water changes and really keep up my maintenance. Those fish should be left in the wild. It was a beautiful fish and I lost it when my tank cracked, and the idol was stuck in a rock with no water.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
So what I'm getting is that they are pretty good as long they are eating and stay well fed so here is another question how do they do in pairs I've heard they do better when there is two or more or will they fight if not a mated pair

Aquageek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. I think it also helps if they are trained to eat nls pellets. The one I had would eat them non stop, all day long if I allowed it. He also gobbled up nori. I started off with 2 but the stronger one killed the weaker one. I think it's a good idea to get a small school of chronis 1st...get them on the nls And they will teach the MI to eat the pellets if they are skiddish at first. Make sure MI is settled in for a few months before you add anything more aggressive. Lastly, sps should be fine. Mine loved to pick at zoas.....left my flowerpots alone.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I think you'll be fine. I think it also helps if they are trained to eat nls pellets. The one I had would eat them non stop, all day long if I allowed it. He also gobbled up nori. I started off with 2 but the stronger one killed the weaker one. I think it's a good idea to get a small school of chronis 1st...get them on the nls And they will teach the MI to eat the pellets if they are skiddish at first. Make sure MI is settled in for a few months before you add anything more aggressive. Lastly, sps should be fine. Mine loved to pick at zoas.....left my flowerpots alone.

Cool and i already have 5 Green Chromis in the tank I'm gonna try and get them the same size i really want them they are so majestic

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: