LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How big are they?

Also, as I am drawing out each and every board, I have realized that I will not be able to use a standard size tank. First, the wall is actually only 71". 2nd, I did not allow for the width of the boards :-(

In addition, Jer says that I cannot cantilever the portion that goes over the display area. He said yes initially, but he didn't realize how far out from the wall I was going. I do not want a board on the corner that is exposed. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I am working out my cabinet construction and I want to order all the boards precut.

Are 2 x 4's really 2 inches by 4 inches?

2 x 4's are not really 2" x 4" (they were, many moons ago). They are supposed to be 1.5" x 3.5". However, this is a very lax standard. I've got 2 x 4's here that are only 1.5" x 3-3/8".

Bottom line is, it is unbelievably difficult to build something that needs to be as precise as you'll need with precut lumber like you're attempting.

Russ

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good news!

Jerry is getting a bigger office outside of our apartment. That means there will be room in our home office for my desk etc....Now I have more options for tank placement.

Which is better:

Closer to kitchen so I can plump my ro unit directly to my water change bucket and top off

or

closer to window so the chiller has a place to vent

?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
better to vent the chiller. you can move water from the RO to the tank no mater where the sink is.

want to run your cabinet design by me next time we meet up?
I can help :lol:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ugh! chiller hose splashed water on the floor all day yesterday. So much mess that the floor is now buckling.

I am so not ready to spend the huge amount of money on the upgrade, but Jer says AIO or no tank.

Also, I have to tear down my current tank to set up the new one. I lOve my fish and don't want to give up anything!!!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Bummer about the flood Leslie. Hope it didn't ruin your flooring completely. Changing over tanks is a little bit of a nuisance, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. It can easily be done without any losses.

R

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: