meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am looking for the article I mentioned earlier but can't find it.

Here is an article I just found that discusses at length average reef temps, and the notion of stability generally.

and here is another one... with charts!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that you allow your tank to have such large fluctuations and this is due to a couple of factors.

The first is that very few of us keep corals from one area of the world, and from one location on the reef. Our corals come from many different areas of the world and from different locations on the reef. Because of that you can't assume that any one particular coral is going to be able to survive a large swing in temp.

The second reason is that our systems are far from pristine. A perfectly healthy and robust coral may be able to survive a six degree swing in temp, but a slightly stressed coral may not. As our corals are kept in a captive environment, and we do not have the same margin of error as their natural environment I believe (based upon a decent amount of experience) that we are better off keeping things as stable as possible. Due to the closed environment, we will inevitably have problems that will stress our corals, some of these problems we may never know about (when is the last time you tested for strontium). While your corals may survive a large temp swing one day, next week may be a different story.

All that being said, if you have problems with temp fluctuations, I believe (and it is nothing more than a belief, albeit based on experience) that you should consider slowly raising your tank temp to avoid a large swing in temp. High temps are not the problem, it is the overall swing in temp that is the killer.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
84 - 90 seems very high, I couldn't even think of letting my tank raise that high ... :chefico: .... My theory is the constancy of the temp, if you maintain a temp somewhere between 78-80 I believe that is sufficient enough, and also believe that high fluctuations can cause havoc on your system .... :irked:

80 is nothing to be concerned about, assuming you keep your tank at 78.

I came across some information on average tropical reef temps when I was researching Chillers. If I remember correctly..... Worldwide average temp for tropical reefs was 82 degrees, with average high temps reaching 88 and average low temps hovering around 76. Red Sea reefs had average temps of 84 degrees with high temps reaching close to 90 degrees in some areas.

The article I was reading recommended keeping your tank at 82 degrees, as being closer to natural averages. .

IME, I used to let my 65 gallon rise to about 83 degrees during the summer. I had a target temp of 80 during the summer. I didn't choose this temp, it is just kind of where my "cooling power" maxed out. I had no problems, and was keeping SPS.

Many people slowly raise their target temp from 78 in the winter to 82 during the summer. This is based off the theory that what is more important than your high temp, is the overall swing in temp. If you keep your tank temp at 78 and it jumps to 84, that is a lot worse than if your tank jumped from 82 to 84. In the first instance you will probably have problems, where in the second scenario you might never notice the temp increase.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm 2 blocks from the Ocean.;) Normal temp 78 degrees. Highest temp my tank reached last summer was 85 degrees with all the window open my ceiling fan going, and the help of 2 - 4" Icecap fans in canopy, 2 - 4" Icecap fans in hood, 1 - 6" clip on fan in the stand blowing into the sump. Hope it gets no worse this summer.:)

albfelix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
Cue the 80s music ... The heat is onnnn...

Ook so today is hovering around 84-87 degrees and my tank is already at 80 with only the actinic's on.... just broke out the vornado fan, hopefully that helps ... anyone having issue's yet?

add a proper rated chiller and you wont have issues anymore

Airborneguy

Reefer till I Die!!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just bought a temp controller on ebay, which I am going to hook up to a fan which will blow over the top of the tank. Hopefully this helps. I really don't care about the evaporation, I just want the temp to stay stable.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
add a proper rated chiller and you wont have issues anymore

Adding a chiller is def not in the budget or space where I have the nano placed ... I know that's the choice fix for some, will be working on alternate ways to cool, (my ac is right next to the tank and used to cool down my 65g no prob so that will prob be the way to go in the more hotter summer months)

As for today I am happy to say with the cool breeze the tank is at 77.9!! My average temp is 78-79

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everyone get out your chillers and AC's for this weekend! A heat advisory is in effect for NY until at least Wednesday ... Temps in the high 90s and possible 100s .... Here we go...

So is this the unofficial start to the blackout season as well ... lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: