• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
For me this has got to be one of the most annoying aspects of reefkeeping..cyanobacteria.

Out of the blue it seems to appear...I do everything suggested to get rid of it, siphon it out, blow it off, keep my nutrients low, feed less, make sure my bulbs aren't old, use & change filter socks, bigger water changes, more frequent smaller water changes, brush it, scrub it, change the rocks..the list goes on and on.
It's on the sand, get it off the sand, now it reappears on the rocks and the sand looks great, then back off the rocks and nows it's between the sand and the glass...I want to take up mind altering drugs...:irked:

This stuff has been know to be on the planet Earth for 2.8 billion - 3.5 billions years (depending on what you read on the web), and sometimes it feels like it's been in my tank for that long. They say it's blue-green algae, yeah, yeah, yeah..the stuff is red in my tank, brick red... I'll give cyano credit in that it carries a lot of the responsibility for us to be able to live here on this rock in the solar system, but I still don't want the stuff being so obvious in my reef tank.

For my own purposes it was nice to find that it is photosynthetic. Of course it also didn't hurt that I stumbled across a really, really long thread over on Reef Central and these folks were talking about successfully getting it to GO AWAY. Before and after pictures too. IIRC the thread started back in 2007 and people are still using the suggested method and poof...2 or 3 days later, almost instant gratification.

So without having to make you read the entire thread (I will add the link shortly), here's a quick recap of what I am doing to win this battle...

The suggestion is to kill your lights entirely for 3 days. You need not worry about sunlight or ambient room lighting..that's fine. My T5's, actinics (8 bulbs in all, 3 overdriven) and moon lights will be off for 3 days (though I might take a peek after 2 full days and nights since there are 2 small anenomes in the tank..). You don't need to cover the tank either. (** see below) You feed normally, and yes, your fish will still stay out & about and they can easily find the food in the available light.
Folks who has a fuge light did leave it on 24/7 during the period of 'lights-out' to aid in keeping the PH more stable.

It is suggested that after the 3rd day you put on your actinics first..so as not to shock your occupants and then resume your regular lighting schedule (though some folks started with shorter periods).

It was mentioned that people with a lot of SPS might want to do this for 2 days instead of 3 as some folks had some minor effects, but even they said they would do it again in the future if the cyano came back again.

The concensus was that the cyano will usually stay away for about 2 months before you need to repeat this process, and it some cases, it didn't come back at all.
The last recommendation was to do a water change before you turned your lights back on to clean up the 'dead' bacteria from the water column.

I shut my lights off on Monday morning and am planning to turn them back on this Thursday at their 'regular' time. I've got my fingers crossed!
Wish me luck! :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1078532

*** After getting more feedback on this thread I feel the following warning shold be posted here (thanks Wally's world!) - if you have an anenome in your tank and try the 3 days lightas out method, be aware that there is a good chance that your anenome might decide to change it's location due to the lack of light and could possibly harm other corals!

**I did add a piece of cardboard to my canopy to shield the lighting from a 4 bulb fluorescent fixture (daylight bulbs..cause I like them) that is about 1 1/2 foot above the side of the tank (and over my desk) and throws (obviously) a lot of light.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Kathy, granted my tank is sort of a month old, i did this with success in my frag tank thatsa hooked into my display. Killed the frag tank lights for 2 days and all the cyano which was quickly spreading in there was gone. Repeated it a few days later but it was all gone and hasn;t come back inside there. The cyano hit my display about a week after in full force so im planning on doing it in the display now. Im sure its tied into my tank settling down along with this crazy weather change and not a specific nutrient/flow/light or anything else in that long list of things but im sure this info will help a little.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Kathy I posted this thread, or a similar one, a while back. Shutting down the lights for 3 days does have an impact not only on Cyano but on other algae, like Hair algae. Also 2 - 3 days of lights off doesn't have any impact on corals and usually open up right away once the lights are put on. A good size water change is recommended but I think a doing one before hand is also good, as you can try to remove all the Cyano you can before starting. In the end you can never get rid of Cyano as it's surving somewhere in the tank and once the condition are right it will come back.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
KathyC I hope this works for you, in the short term it can help you get an edge on the cyano. I know the thread from RC very well and I also had a bit of luck with it . I used it only yo get ahead of my cyano., by keeping the fuge lights on I was able to draw the stuff into the fuge. and fight it with a vacume / water changes and Chaeto (wich is what I credit for really beating it)

IMO the lights off thing treats the symptom , and not the problem. I can see why people get desperate, cyano is a tough enemy. I see in your sig that you already know this.

If you dont already have some chaeto growing I suggest adding some and letting the lights run on it 24/7 for awhile after you do the 3dark days. IME chaeto will outcompete cyano for available nutrients. the key for me has been a 51k 75w flood light.

by breaking cyano's grip with the dark cycle its easier to get out infront of the stuff, but its not the cure. IMO the cure is macro algree, water changes.

best of luck I hope this helps. I also wanted to thank you, I have learned a ton from reading your threads.

Chris

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks guys..and Tony :)hug:)...ahhh the joys of a new tank settling in and all of the cycles they go through!

Mike - yup, removed what I could and did do a water change so that the tank was in fine shape before turning the lighting off, and as mentioned I do have a good sized water change planned for when I turn the lights back on to remove any dead bacteria.
Regarding other algaes - I don't have nuisance algaes, but the thread was very specific in saying that this method does NOT get rid of hair algae, but as you said it is helpful. What the reduction does is weakens it, so if anyone tries this method for that, it will make it easier to manually pull off the rocks, but that's about all.
...And I do agree that cyano is never truly gone from a tank, just controlled :(

Dom- my point here was to focus on the lights off method entirely.
I already aggressively skim, change my GFO weekly, practice good husbandry, have siphoned - let it regrow and siphoned again, have no issues with PH, flow or a high bioload and feed intelligently nor do I have a newly established tank. Like many other well respected tanks I've seen, I am dealing with cyano and offered up this thread in hopes that it will help others and bring the issue back to the forefront.
Have you tried this method with your tank yet?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I don't have Cyano. After I added a UV light I never saw it again (well over a year). I have terrible water params too :) My tank is probably in the worst shape it has been in a while but still no cyano. I added UV lights to my other tanks and they did not get cyano anymore either.

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i had lights 3 days off and half my sps colonies turned white and died. i had to cut whatever survived and re-frag and start with tiny frags again. My suggestion take out most valuable sps frags and move them to another tank for this time. All my softies and lps are fine. but i regret losing half of my colony ;(
No cyano after that tought !!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Personally, I'd go with the lower end of the time scale you have suggested for cyanobacteria - 3.5 billion seems little old to me. Some forms of cyanobacteria are actually blue-green. As it is one of the oldest life forms, there is fair amount of diversity in it.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
A quick google image search and I found this photo showing some of the different kinds:
Cyanobacteria-Types.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dom, you do not have cyano in your local tank as far as I can recall. If you do, it isn't very much. The blue-green kind forms mats and has a slimey appearance like the red stuff. But I don't even know if the bluegreen kind actually grow in our reef tanks.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Nothing has a slimy appearance in my local tanks. I have had cyano in the past (at least the maroonish slimy form) covering everything and I know I do not have that.

Someone has mentioned that the red and green in the middle of the DSB in my local tank (also can be found in all of my DSBs) is cyano. If cyano is photosynthetic it shouldn't be getting light in the middle of my sand bed and would grow better on the sand (there is zero algae on top of my sand bed. At least that can be seen by eye). Also since air bubbles were on what I thought was macro algae on the back of the local tank glass that means it is cyano. They are getting back to me with more info but I have had chaeto covered with gas bubbles before too :scratch: I shouldn't have posted at all because now I am confused.

I can say this though for sure, I do not have the traditional red slime cyano in any of my tanks since I added a UV :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: