Aquatic Life Direct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
These days i've been always trying to wear gloves... well i was moving some corals around to organize for the swap and a 6" bristle worm was hiding under the coral. I felt this funny rough feeling only to find that i once again got stung by these guys! This is probably one of the worst ones i got. Please be careful and always ALWAYS wear gloves, even if its just for a few minutes.

The cure for this is to soak the affected finger or fingers in white vinegar. After about 15 mins, they will dissolve or turn soft enough to remove. :eek:

You can also try gluing the area up and peeling it off. I also tried duct tape and that didnt work so well....

Happy reefing!:p

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 557

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Wow Alex, did it hurt or sting.. Stop feeling on those bristle worms,,lol.. Hope you get well soon... Also be careful picking up fish, I got a dorsel fin stab twice and it's not fun,, throbbing finger the whole night..

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Just LAST WEEK I posted this thread, 'Swap - Frag Preparation' with this exact type of precaution outlined.

In a nutshell I suggested that in the coming weeks we were going to have hoards of reefers with hands/arms buried deep in our tanks looking to collect all the tiny frags we can find, inverts we can accumulate and critters we can locate to trade, sell, give or donate at the swap. Invariably this type of occurrence was going to happen. Alex, I'm sorry it was you.

To the rest of you reading this thread, we will be bringing a few pairs of Aqua Gloves to the swap. It is unbelievably appropriate to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. As painful as Alex's bristleworm 'attack' was, be glad he didn't encounter any palytoxins to wreak havoc on his respiratory system. DEATH is often the outcome from misdiagnosed and/or delayed treatment. Don't let this be you or anyone you know.

This is serious business and the casual reefer might not know anything about these deadly toxins in their own living room. They are present in so many zoanthid type, palythoa polyps that it is virtually impossible to visually determine if the ones in your tank are the killers at large.

Does this sound over dramatized? Ask Alex if those bristles hurt. Many of you don't know Aaron, another reefer on our board from years ago. He was fragging some zoa's, or palythoa's and one of them squirted its 'juices'. Not so lucky Aaron caught that squirt right in his eye. He was blinded in that eye for days. He didn't know if he was going to regain his sight again. Nervewracking? I'd say so. Preventable? Most definitely. Gloves and a pair of safety goggles and Aaron would have been saved a trip to the hospital, multiple trips to ophthalmologists and countless hours of aggravation and uncertainty about his vision.

Please be responsible to yourself and your family. Nobody wants to have problems. And nobody especially wants to have problems stemming from the relaxing hobby we all love.

Alex, best of luck with your recovery from that painful looking attack.
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: