• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I was wondering if anyone has brought coral on a plane before?
If so how is it done?

I ahve been told to send it as Cargo, which will cost between $150-200.

Is this the only way?

If so, how many heat packs should I use for a few corals?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My cousin just got married last weekend- his buddy that came up from TX that has had a tank for ten years smuggled a blue hammer and a torch up here for him as an additional wedding gift- if you want I can get in touch with him and ask him how he did it.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Not going to happen. They wont let you take liquids. Certainly baggies filled with salt water would raise some eyebrows.
Liquids as carry on, is a problem...usually not a problem in checked baggage.
In past 4 years, I have been to LA, 15 times, on at least 6 of these trips, I have returned with a 'picnic' cooler full of corals and fish. I have shops hold purchase till day of return flight, buy a cheap cooler at Target, pack it nice, a couple heat packs, all bags inside another large, CLEAR, RESEALABLE bag...bring to special/oversize luggage checkin, they may/or may not want to look inside after you tell them whats inside...they put fragile/handle with care/live animal stickers on...you're done, pick up cooler and luggage at carousel when you land! (I use United Airlines, but you can ask about special luggage, when you go to the airport on the first flight)

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Liquids as carry on, is a problem...usually not a problem in checked baggage.
In past 4 years, I have been to LA, 15 times, on at least 6 of these trips, I have returned with a 'picnic' cooler full of corals and fish. I have shops hold purchase till day of return flight, buy a cheap cooler at Target, pack it nice, a couple heat packs, all bags inside another large, CLEAR, RESEALABLE bag...bring to special/oversize luggage checkin, they may/or may not want to look inside after you tell them whats inside...they put fragile/handle with care/live animal stickers on...you're done, pick up cooler and luggage at carousel when you land! (I use United Airlines, but you can ask about special luggage, when you go to the airport on the first flight)

Sounds about right. I've done this before. You can't bring fluids as carry-on but you can as luggage. I would definately check with the airline beforehand. Btw, I never had to pay extra.

ereefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I work for a airline. I spoke to TSA about this very matter, and was told the following. (This will work for FRAGS, not lg pieces.) You are allowed to carry through the security checkpoint 1 1qt plastic bag filled with liquids containing not more the 3 oz. Just when you are to get into the line dump the water out of the bag into a new plastic container you can buy at Walmart that is made for airline travel (3oz). When you reach the screener, tell them it is a live animal, and can't go through the x-ray machine it needs to be hand searched. After you have been cleared for travel put the water back into the bag with the frag. Of course this will not work for international travel due to customs. I have seen as many as 5 3oz bottles in one of those 1 qt bags. Hope this helps.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
thanks for the reply. Especially those of you that actually read the post, not just the header.

Florida

I have been told by Continental that I must send it in my plane via Cargo...cost over $150...I will be fedexing it to myself the day I leave.

johnny roastbeef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The cooler will work, but dont forget you're likely to get banged for the additional baggage fee. That's about $35 on the major airlines (for second bag). Why hassle with it, send it fedex to yourself.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
FRITZ: I am not sure if you are mocking me, or mocking the situation. I d di laugh however, as this is a silly scenario.
J RB: That is what I was thinking.

I am concerned that I may kill them when I ship, and the plane w/ me would be alot less time traveling...but I am afraid the airline will tell me know when I get there...we Will see. I may "book" a cargo spot, and try to check the cooler...either way I am using a cooler, if it is on plane, in cargo, or fedex...I will be buying me a purdy little red/white cooler, its florida, they sell coolers everywhere!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Rookie, I brought back quite a few things from cancun. This was Pre 9/11. I had close to 60 hermits in a water bottle, not a clear one but a solid color one. I actually even acted like I was drinking from it. Also brought back close to 100lbs of live rock that I told them were rocks I picked up off the beach. They were curious why they were wrapped in newspaper. Also brought back a pair of clowns in seperate bottles. No corals though. Everything survived and the bottles were kept on my lap to help keep them warm. It was a very nerve racking experince though and I'm pretty sure you can locked up for it.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
nope sepecially after 911, the fertelizer chemical incident, liquid incident and the guy who tried to inject something into his stomach and blow the plane up incident

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: