• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll all, I just wanted to share my wonderful experience of 50 gallons on salt water on the floor. Luckily for me, I live on the third floor and my second floor tenants roof is water stained and probably going to get mold. How did it shatter u ask?? After much research I decide to empty the tank half way, so I could drill my overflow. The end. This ever happen to anyone or anyone know anyone? Fml Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 499

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My once inhabited living room. But hey, I got a new tank! I got a 16 gallon just to salvage some live rock. That way I can throw it off my balcony when I find out my insurance won't cover. Haha I post those pics too. If anyone know a good way to relax, because I can barley breathe. Thanks. Have a nice day.

Attachments

17.1 KB · Views: 498

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ecveron, I have heard of people doing it "ya know, pretend people from online planet" and after speaking with a contractor bud, we decided, to try. I was thinking worst case, the tank would crack and leak, I had another tank on stand by. However it exploded like an m80.

Acone15

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bizz, probably. I believed it wasnt tempered at the time. But hey, Fu(k it. I got a new tank and the insurance adjuster is coming .

Attachments

31.8 KB · Views: 476

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have heard of people doing it "ya know, pretend people from online planet" and after speaking with a contractor bud, we decided, to try. However it exploded like an m80.

I believed it was acrylic at the time.
sorry for your loss, but...
can't tell glass from acrylic!...:shhh:...sounds like your 'bud' is a pretend contractor from online planet!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
also a glass tank weighs nearly 3 times the weight of an acrylic tank but hey this sucks man i know how u feel just last week i got a frantic phone call from my girl saying the tank is leaking but it had leaked from my chiller when i got home 4 gallons were on the floor and leaked downstairs i can only imagine how many gallons you spilled on the floor good luck with the insurance adjuster

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, even if it wasn't tempered, we all know how easy it is to crack the glass if you apply just a smudge too much pressure when drilling. If there was any water weight in the tank, a small crack would basically make the whole bottom just drop out.

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I used a nice glass 1 1/2 drill but with a power drill. I made it through the whole panel and the last thin, last little bit, one more second, BAMMMM

So you used a diamond bit? Did the drill have a clutch? Deffiantly was not tempered if it was it would have shattered into pieces pretty much instantly....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: