Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I would specify in the future any free "gifts" are subject to DBTC rules. You can even post on the FS thread that freebies will be given under DBTC rules.

In fact the Freebie thread should have that as part of the sticky along with in Marketplace rules. Anything given for free should be under DBTC unless specified!!! This way if someone does violate at least its published and no one can complain that they were just doing the seller a favor.

There should be an exception to every rule - Should it turn out that the recipient doesn't need the "gift" after all - he/she should offer the item back to the original owner before posting it for sale. It probably should be put on the freebie thread, actually.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
thanks but as mentioned once you give it away its up them what they do with it.
but really if you don't need it, don't be greedy let some one who can use it have it.
sharkbait was on the money, i don't know how he figured it out. but his post got deleted.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This has been an ongoing issue in the reefing community and believe me I know how you feel , I have even named them "flippers" take a freebie and flip it for a few bucks , it's a shame , truth is that the hobby is expensive and they will defend themselves by saying the following phrases :
1) if you gave it to me , I can do what I want with it!
2) so what's wrong with trying to recoup some of my expenses ??!?
3) and the infamous , they have another flipper friend go on the thread to co-sign for them by saying , I don't see anything wrong with it if you gave it to him , he can eat it if he wants!!! .

Bottom line is that it is an optional obligation for most reefers to do the right thing and spread your growth , again I say most because 90% of my corals came from other good reefers like yourself who gave to a better home or trimmed big colonies so that they can supply other reefers with the hard to find stuff in the effort to stop those who give snazzy names to corals in order to catch other reefers in a ripoff deal , or they give because they feel good about trading and sharing .

I never charge and love to give and help and am anti profit in this hobby , I have even made trades only after receiving the approval of the person who gave me the coral initially ...... It's a bad topic but what I do is I share the names of these people with my other good reefer friends and have a quiet red book that helps me protect fellow reefers from these frag worms.

Sorry for your incident , no good reefer deserves this to happen to them , and by all means inform those close to you , don't use the reefer rating as it is faulty and gives the person the option to bash you in return.

Last edited:

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
This has been an ongoing issue in the reefing community and believe me I know how you feel , I have even named them "flippers" take a freebie and flip it for a few bucks , it's a shame , truth is that the hobby is expensive and they will defend themselves by saying the following phrases :
1) if you gave it to me , I can do what I want with it!
2) so what's wrong with trying to recoup some of my expenses ??!?
3) and the infamous , they have another flipper friend go on the thread to co-sign for them by saying , I don't see anything wrong with it if you gave it to him , he can eat it if he wants!!! .

Bottom line is that it is an optional obligation for most reefers to do the right thing and spread your growth , again I say most because 90% of my corals came from other good reefers like yourself who gave to a better home or trimmed big colonies so that they can supply other reefers with the hard to find stuff in the effort to stop those who give snazzy names to corals in order to catch other reefers in a ripoff deal , or they give because they feel good about trading and sharing .

I never charge and love to give and help and am anti profit in this hobby , I have even made trades only after receiving the approval of the person who gave me the coral initially ...... It's a bad topic but what I do is I share the names of these people with my other good reefer friends and have a quiet red book that helps me protect fellow reefers from these frag worms.

Sorry for your incident , no good reefer deserves this to happen to them , and by all means inform those close to you , don't use the reefer rating as it is faulty and gives the person the option to bash you in return.

+100
Well said.

Sorry you had to go through it Edd. You're a good dude. Don't let some ones jackassery change you and the way you reef.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
thanks every one.
the last time this happened i posted about it and never mentioned his name, but he manned up and came foreword and admitted his wrong doing on my thread not looking to hide. so i had no hard feelings for him, he was a decent guy who made a mistake and owned up to it.
in the future i will not change my ways as mentioned, and continue giving gifts cause thats what i like to do.

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
just like in the case of macros - a person takes more than he/she needs; instead of giving the extra away, he/she sells it on MR. i don't buy the "using gas to get to you" line...comes with the territory. don't let the bad apples discourage you...happy reefing!

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I totally agree! I've been really fortunate with the people I've met in the hobby. Many have been so generous! It's really upsetting when stuff like this happens. I once had someone (no names mentioned) post stuff for sale that I had loaned to him! Luckily, I saw it and got it back.

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I never charge and love to give and help and am anti profit in this hobby , I have even made trades only after receiving the approval of the person who gave me the coral initially ......

don't use the reefer rating as it is faulty and gives the person the option to bash you in return.

I can definitely vouch for this. Saltwaterinbrooklyn ask me even tho that coral was over a year old.
As for the reefer rating been faulty i agreed 100%.
It has to be a way to fix the system.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: