OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Came across these 2 little guy's on my glass the other day. Then new right away by the pattern on the sides and back that it was a zoa eating nudibranch. They are hard to find at 1st but the best way to see if you have them are easy. Signs: Missing or dissapearing zoas. Your zoa colony seem closed all the time (Don't get it confused with melting. When zoa's melt they have a filmy brown substance around them and the polyp starts turning pale) and look closely at your zoa'a right before lights on for anything crawling on them. Have a good eye because they camaflouge themselves. Whatever they eat, they have the ability to turn the same color. So watch carefully. Another thing I noticed about them is they can ball themselves up when disturbed or feel threatened. If you have strong current they also let the current blow them around the tank. So they look like a free floating object that you will not pay mind to. Crazy! Here are some pics to tell what they are and the second pic is of the one camaflouged. He was yellow. You can't tell from the pic. Since this article.. LOL they have been euthanized. (By toilet) Enjoy !

Nudis001.jpg

Nudis002.jpg

Nudis003.jpg

Nudis004.jpg

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you found 2 in your tank the chances you have more are very likely. Also they lay eggs all over the place so don't think that since you got those 2 you will not have any more pop up in the near future.

Good luck, your fight has just started.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
It's not in the DT, it in the Frag Tank... Using Coral RX and a quick freshwater dip in a bucket. (Shaken Vigorously not Stirred). How did you get rid of yours?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Dipping will kill the nudis, but not the eggs. The trick with these is to dip them every few days so that they are killed off as they hatch. If you keep on top of it, they won't get old enough to lay more eggs and you can get rid of them fairly quickly.

Much better to have them in the frag tank than the display where you can't always remove all the zoas.

Good luck.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Update... haven't seen a nudi in the frag tank in a couple of days... been dipping and checking very meticulously over every zoa frag and col. So far so good. Picking up another Yellow Coris this weekend aswell as a Sixline.

Much better to have them in the frag tank than the display where you can't always remove all the zoas.

@ Beerfish.. yes your not kidding, Good thing I caught it on time. Need to speak to the LFS where the corals come from about the situation.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
@ Jerl77... will research on that info, already picked up the six line and yellow corris wrasse aswell as continuing to dip. No nudi's, except women on my bed. LOL!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: