jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Guys how's the spread on these things? I see lots of shadowed parts in the tank pics that are posted. What would be the footprint this lighting fixture would cover (BRIGHT for an SPS tank)?
IMG_2851.jpg

Last edited:

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but IMO your "explanation" sounds lame.

Seriously, what is your Point? Are you an advocate of Orbitel and the blocking of LED technology in our hobby?

IMO, Orbitel's unreasonably wide patent application of LED controllability in all Aquatic Use is LAME. They produce things like lighting for submersible scientic oceanography studies, etc... The Patent's Wide spread reach into all water application is what is lame.

Our "lame" explanation is just playing the game of word twisting that they initiated.

Again, what is your underlying reason for this line of questioning? Why do you even care if the explanation is lame? Just suspicous motives.

FYI, the logo you posted is PacificSun in Europe. Our point is that the US versions are imported for different applications. Word games, that is all Patents are.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Seriously, what is your Point? Are you an advocate of Orbitel and the blocking of LED technology in our hobby?

IMO, Orbitel's unreasonably wide patent application of LED controllability in all Aquatic Use is LAME. They produce things like lighting for submersible scientic oceanography studies, etc... The Patent's Wide spread reach into all water application is what is lame.

Our "lame" explanation is just playing the game of word twisting that they initiated.

Again, what is your underlying reason for this line of questioning? Why do you even care if the explanation is lame? Just suspicous motives.

Yeah, you got me.. I am building a super great LED light and plans to make a killing off it, just want to discredit all sub-par LED manufactures and lame re-sellers that can't get their stories straight. Don't start the personal attacks!!

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Aloha

The whole point of our lighting is to replicate the sun rays as closely as possible.

You are correct the crees dont have better spread

The 1 w leds are less intense with more spread
the 3w are put in clusters with lenses since they are more intense which means you can reign in the light with lenses and mix them in clusters and get a much better mixture of color.

I have seen both 1 w and 3 w fixtures and no matter how you look at it, the 3 watt IMO much closer replicate the natural suns rays. Also most people are running their Aqua illuminations fixtures at 50 percent white and 80 - 100 percent blue. These fixtures have a 2 to 1 white to blue ratio.

If there was no need to upgrade to the cree leds, PAC sun wouldnt do it.

Rafal, im not saying there is anything wrong with the the pacsun fixtures. Im just saying im damn glad i didnt buy a 1w to find out they are coming out with one that replicates what everyone wants the MH look. People dont go around saying man i wish i could replicate the look of t-5s. They always say i wish i could replicate the look of MH and its shimmer with out the heat and power consumption

Jackson - it depends on how you space out the fixture and remember the sun doesnt hit ever part of the reef with the intensity. When you go diving thats what it looks like not like t-5s. There is some dark parks to the reef. Thats what i love about the 3w fixtures, it actually looks like a reef in the ocean, not some rock in a box with over powered lighting.

Last edited:

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah, you got me.. I am building a super great LED light and plans to make a killing off it, just want to discredit all sub-par LED manufactures and lame re-sellers that can't get their stories straight. Don't start the personal attacks!!

Ummm, who started calling who Lame? If you start calling people lame, they will defend themselves.

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
there was already a person who started bashing PS and month later started selling china made led lamps so who knows...

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm with Cali here.... Felix I'd do a little homework and talk to a lawyer about the patent, patents are territorial so Pacsun is fine as they are a Polish company but you as the importer could be liable especially if Aloha Tropics primary business focus IS aquatic in nature. Bottom line is Orbitech can go after you directly for violating the patent, remember PFO didn't lose the lawsuit they went broke fighting it.

RARECLOWNSNJ....Think if the 1W/3W debate more like 175W/250W/400W both work and will do the job but the 3W or 400W MH will give you better PAR at deeper levels. You wouldn't get a 400W MH for a 12" tank nor would you try to keep SPS at 30" with 175W MH would you?

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The whole point of our lighting is to replicate the sun rays as closely as possible.

You are correct the crees dont have better spread

The 1 w leds are less intense with more spread
the 3w are put in clusters with lenses since they are more intense which means you can reign in the light with lenses and mix them in clusters and get a much better mixture of color.

I have seen both 1 w and 3 w fixtures and no matter how you look at it, the 3 watt IMO much closer replicate the natural suns rays. Also most people are running their Aqua illuminations fixtures at 50 percent white and 80 - 100 percent blue. These fixtures have a 2 to 1 white to blue ratio.

I won't disagree with some of the points you bring up. The main thing is, there are benefits and disadvantages of each "school of thought" between Low watt and high watt LED fixtures. Price, spread, look, intensity, all different in the 2 sides.

The only reason I brought this up was to say that the 1W Pacsun Modules are not obsolete. They are just trying to tackle both sides of the market.

Here is a great example:

One of our customers actually called and asked us NOT to give him the 3W modules. His reasoning was simple. He said the display tank that tested the 1W system was one of the most gorgeous looking systems he's ever seen. If those results can be achieved with the 1W, then he does not want to either spend more money or test out the 3W. He was unable to find any tank running AI 3W fixtures that looked as good as the 1W.

I'm not saying any unit is better than the other, I'm saying there is a market for both. That is the reason why Pacsun came out with the 3W, and NOT to replace the 1W units.

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
i am not even going into the details that light that is needed for coral growth is not visible to human eye, but also european mkts are different. there are other companies in europe that went the same road with leds offering both 1W and 3W or 3W Cree and noname 3W.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I'm with Cali here.... Felix I'd do a little homework and talk to a lawyer about the patent, patents are territorial so Pacsun is fine as they are a Polish company but you as the importer could be liable especially if Aloha Tropics primary business focus IS aquatic in nature. Bottom line is Orbitech can go after you directly for violating the patent, remember PFO didn't lose the lawsuit they went broke fighting it.

RARECLOWNSNJ....Think if the 1W/3W debate more like 175W/250W/400W both work and will do the job but the 3W or 400W MH will give you better PAR at deeper levels. You wouldn't get a 400W MH for a 12" tank nor would you try to keep SPS at 30" with 175W MH would you?

Thanks Joe, I understand the concern. Good thing, Aloha Tropics is just a reseller. PacificsunUSA is the actual Importer ;) checkout their website.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey, not my fault you like to be "lame", I was describing your "explaination"..

Main Entry: lame Part of Speech: adjective Definition: feeble, weak Synonyms:

faltering, faulty, flabby, flimsy, inadequate, ineffective, inefficient, insufficient, poor, thin, unconvincing, unpersuasive, unpleasing, unsatisfactory, unsuitable Antonyms:

able, capable, efficient, satisfactory, strong

Dude, I've said this before in other threads. You are the most annoying and insulting person on this forum. Your comments are nothing short of pure sarcasm and insult everytime you open your mouth.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that thinks that as well.

Describing my explanation as lame is pretty much an attack. Its a negative comment based on creating a negative feeling on the object you are speaking about.

And thats the last I will be commenting because this did go way off topic.

Last edited:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Rich...the AI use a 40 degree optical lense so they appear to spotlight but should cover a 24x24 area... I know James has one in his office so if you could make it out tonight I'm sure he'll be happy to show it.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Thanks Joe, I understand the concern. Good thing, Aloha Tropics is just a reseller. PacificsunUSA is the actual Importer ;) checkout their website.

Since I am all about being negative!

PacificSunUsa.com Whois Record

Here's what we know about pacificsunusa.com:

DomainTools for Windows?
Now you can access domain ownership records anytime, anywhere... right from your own desktop! Find out more >

Registrant:
Aloha Tropics Inc.
10 Brompton Place
Huntington Station, New York 11746
United States

Domain Name: PACIFICSUNUSA.COM
Created on: 25-Dec-09
Expires on: 25-Dec-10
Last Updated on: 01-Jan-10

Administrative Contact:
Fan, Felix
Aloha Tropics Inc.
10 Brompton Place
United States
6318276700 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Fan, Felix
Aloha Tropics Inc.
10 Brompton Place
United States
6318276700 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS26.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thiis is what i dont understand

Woah Cali thats some serious research

Why cant people have a educated conversation with out being derogatory.

Rafal - we all understand you cant see the light that is needed for coral growth. no one is disputing that.

By the way Rafal are you going to get the 3w version?

Last edited:

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
but it was you who said that you judge the led based on human view, it wasnt me. i am not even sure where you have seen 1W since only one place had it in NJ for about 10 days.

3W will be available in 1-2 months.

Rafal - we all understand you cant see the light that is needed for coral growth. no one is disputing that.

By the way Rafal are you going to get the 3w version?

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Rafal

I dont remember saying judge based on the human eye.

If i said anything close i said that we base the color and look of our lighting based on what we see not what is needed.

I never said it was in NJ either that i saw it.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Cali, I'm still having trouble understanding your point which brings me to the point that you are just trying to start with everyone. Joe gave a friendly caution about importing under aloha tropics. I simply showed that Pacificsun is a separate legal entity. Yes, 1 person can own more than 1 company.

I ask you again, what is your point?!? Where are you going with this? Or are you just trying slander and mock people like you always do?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: