picod

Reefer Chick
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the early spring, I had the idea of moving my home office to the back of my house since my current office window now faces the side of a rather large new house. I would add an additional window to be able to overlook my garden while I worked. This would also afford me the opportunity to build myself as big of a desk as I needed, for work of course, but also for a bigger set-up. :biggrin:
The summer proved to be a very trying one for me, to say the least. My boyfriend had suffered a stroke, and I devoted every moment of my free time to him.
I was considering the idea of getting out of the hobby, despite the fact that my new tank, overflow kit and various upgrade equipment were already in my possession. I even had 30lbs of Marco rock cycling since April. I had a lot going on in my personal life, and I just wasn?t ready for this ?great big? 20 gallon upgrade.
Then one night while asleep, my good friend JonnyJ texts me with a set-up that ?you have to buy?, so on August 18th, we were off to NJ to pick up my new goodies from Danny (mheaven)
Here we are in the early stages. I bought Ikea cabinetry and counter-tops to construct my new desk:
construction1.jpg

Aquascaping and filling:
thebeginning.jpg

On September 8th, 2011, My Fluval Edge was officially retired. Not to worry though, lol, it just became a fw planted tank. But that?s for another site?:splitspin
Dripping my corals:
dripping.jpg

The first morning after everything settling in:
thefirstmorning.jpg

My equipment/lighting/maintenance:
13 gallon Advance Acrylics AIO tank with ~20lbs Marco rock+ ~5lbs rock from the Edge. I am still running the MP10. In the back of the tank I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer, a Rena 100w heater and use either a Pura Pad or Chemi-pure Elite. I just recently installed an Autotopoff.com nano top off system. An AI Sol Nano lights the tank.
Now that I finally hooked up the Dual Reef RO/DI from AW&I (thank you KathyC), I do 2.5 gallon (~ 20%) water change weekly. I dose 6ml of Special Blend every other week. I target feed the coral a combo of frozen Mysis/Brine/Rods Original every two days.
My corals: My collection includes: Pocillopora, Lokani, Neon green Birds-Nest, Pavona, Sinularia, Toadstool, Duncan, Lephastrea, Frogspawn, Hammer, 3 different Candycane, Favia, lots of Zoas, and of course, GSP.
My livestock: My livestock consists of: a Yellow Clown Goby, a Tail-spot Blenny, a True Percula, a Green Banded Goby, a Scarlet Reef hermit crab, two mini Cerith snails, two Nassarius snails, two Bali Feather Dusters, a Blue Legged Yellow Coral Banded shrimp, two Pom Pom crabs and a Porcelain crab.
As we are today:
newestfts.jpg

I wish I could have taken this with my real camera instead of my iphone:
ycg.jpg

I would like to dedicate this thread to Frank.
On October 6th, tragedy struck my life when Frank unexpectedly passed away at my home. He is very much missed?
~danielle

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Sorry for your loss Danielle... I know the felling to well when you lose someone close.

The tank looks great, I hope you are happy with it, it's a beautiful set up. Im glade it's in your hands. Keep the thread up to date. Would love to see more pics. How are the lights working for you?

Last edited:

picod

Reefer Chick
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you everyone for the compliments and for the condolences as well...

@mheaven and edge2011: I used the Acan light until the end of 2011, and then upgraded to an AI Sol Nano. I was not unhappy with the Acan, I just preferred the smaller footprint.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Thanks Picod. What are the dimensions for your tank?
I ask because I am contemplating setting up an AIO that is 24L x 17D x 10H. I am looking into LED options and trying to figure out if an AI Sol Nano would be sufficient. I have heard nothing but good things about them and it looks like you have amazing growth in your tank.

Thanks
Edge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: