E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I currently have the iPhone 4S. I'm looking at either the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the iPhone 5s. The phone will be used primarily for web browsing, texts, and calls. I plan on taking a lot of pictures as well, so device storage is important.

I've done tons of research, and went to the store yesterday and played around with both phones. The samsung has a larger screen, micro sd card slot, a removable battery, and some fun built-in apps and widgets that I like. However, it might be a tad "too big" and the software would take some getting used to.

On the other hand, the iPhone is very similar to my current phone, but the screen is a bit larger than the iPhone 4S, it's faster, and the learning curve won't be as steep as the Galaxy. However, there's no user-replaceable battery or sd card slot, and the screen is much smaller than the S4.

After all that, I'm leaning toward the S4 because of the reasons mentioned above, but I'm concerned with the long term reliability. In my experience (we've had the 4, the 4s, and my wife has the 5s now), Apple phones tend to work longer and they definitely have a higher resale value. I've never owned a droid phone, but I've heard mixed reviews on the longevity side (although most were for the S3 or earlier phones). It's nice that I don't NEED to upgrade my 4s, because it still works pretty well. It does crash every now and then, and the battery doesn't last as long, but it's still OK overall.

Help!

SirReefalot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been in the cell phone business for over 10 years and iPhone is the way to go. If you are computer savvy and don't mind pulling your battery every few days then it's fine to get a droid. I personally use the iPhone 5 and my wife has a 5S. There are pros and cons to each operating system.. The main reason I use an iPhone is the reliability and overall quality of the the device. One other major benefit is Apple support... If you have an issue you can bring it to apple and they will replace it free under warranty or for a reasonable fee if it is out of warranty. We'll good luck!

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You'll get a myriad of answers to choose either phone. I think it's been asked on MR in the past if you want to search for it. In my experience, iPhone is more stable. But I like the size and the customization that the S4 allows. I have an S4 now, and never had to pull my battery.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I had the iPhone 5 and I have the samsung galaxy s4 .. As far as which 1 I prefer I'll say the samsung hands down. Like u said u like to take photos the samsung has a 13 megapixel camera and allows you to expand your memory with the micro SD slot.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I feel like the iPhone is the safer bet. Less risk, but also less reward. The galaxy might have a larger screen and better widgets, camera, etc, but it also might not last two years. And the resale will be lower. Ultimately, the proposed iPhone 6 looks great, but I'm not waiting 7-8 months to upgrade my phone.

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
My wife and I had iphones since the first iphone came out and a few months ago we switched. She got the s4 and I got the note 3 and I could honestly tell you that I don't think I'll ever go back to iphone. I'm very pleased with the note 3 in every way. When I hold my daughters iphone 5s it feels like a baby phone lol

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Nokia Lumia 1020, the one with the 41 MP camera?

If you don't use apps or buy apps then it doesn't matter. To me the only one that matters is Google Maps.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
My wife and I had iphones since the first iphone came out and a few months ago we switched. She got the s4 and I got the note 3 and I could honestly tell you that I don't think I'll ever go back to iphone. I'm very pleased with the note 3 in every way. When I hold my daughters iphone 5s it feels like a baby phone lol

Does the Galaxy feel flimsier than the iPhone? Also, has your phone crashed or required rebooting?

Have you looked at the Nokia Lumia 1020, the one with the 41 MP camera?

If you don't use apps or buy apps then it doesn't matter. To me the only one that matters is Google Maps.

That looks like a nice phone but I don't think it's available for Verizon. And I don't know much about Windows phones.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I don't send group text messages often, but I do receive them randomly.

Are carriers still pretty good about a grace period? I remember they used to offer 30 days to make a decision.

Also, three of my friends have the note 3 and they all love it. The phone looks great on the reviews but it's a BIG phone

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Hey Eric, I love my Note 3 and I don't see myself getting another phone unless a Note 4 comes out. You will get use to the larger phone after a few days. The S4 is also a nice phone but it doesn't compare to the N3

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks Hector.

I was using my wife's 5s yesterday and although it's a very good phone, there are definitely some quirks that annoyed me with it. Plus the screen size is much smaller than the galaxy phones.

I've also read that the Galaxy S4 has some lag and can get caught up on random things also. Plus, the battery isn't as good as the Note3, and the screen isn't as bright or easily readable in bright/sunlight conditions.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Just thought I'd update this post. I went with the Galaxy Note 3. It's an absolute beast of a phone. My wife still has her iPhone 5s, and she loves it. But honestly it's no comparison for me. The Note 3 is an incredible phone and I'm very happy with the choice.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Glad to hear you are happy with your decision. Welcome to the hated side! :p

Have you been required to pull the battery yet because of the alleged "constant" freezing?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The iPhone takes photos quicker, yet the size and quality are better on the S4, iPhone your stuck on their stuff, Android has ESPECIALLY S4, expandable memory, split screen which has been useful for me, as well as stock options like the phone is a universal remote for my tv blu ray for every room in my house lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: