bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've noticed visiting many reefers that some keep other types of pets also. I once had a terrarium/vivarium set up, which was a 30 long tank with 25/75 water/land that housed a Nile Monitor.

Thinking of setting up an artificial rainforest/firebelly toad tank for my son.

Anyone here into terrariums or vivariums?

viv_6.jpg

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've actually been looking into vivariums for the past few months now and plan on setting up a dart frog tank soon. Was thinking a pair of Azureus or Dyed frogs. Been planning on a 50 breeder since it will allow enough height for the false bottom drainage.

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I see one of those in my future with automated fog maker and mist sprayers. I have been reading about them for about a year. Very cool. Elfili keeps poison dart frogs if you guys have any questions about them.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
That's not a pic of my tank, but the plants are real.

Yeah, I was thinking of dart frogs, but with my 5 YO & all...

Maybe just some redbellies.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
BTW - I keep a bunch of other things, some in naturalistic vivariums. Mudskippers, ball python, corn snake, 5 king snakes, 2 veiled chameleons, Discus fish, Red Eyed Tree Frog, Tiger Leg Monkey Tree Frog, newts, hissing roaches, bearded dragon and day geckos plus a wife and son ( though they might object to being included on the list ).

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
They obtain the alkaloids ( which is what makes up their toxins ) from insects they eat in the wild ( which in turn get the toxins from the plants they eat ). It isn't really know what the source of the toxin is. In captivity they aren't eating that diet so they dont make the toxin. The toxin, as an aside, is used in a lot of pharmaceutical, neruological and cardiological research but since it is hard to obtain enough specimens for research ( due to their limited ranges, habitat destruction, conservation efforts ), yet most are readily breedable in captivity so there is a lot of money going into figuring out how they get their toxins.

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i was actually thinking about turning a turtle tank into a corn snake/ fw aquarium tank with minnows or tetras and live plants :skull:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I am on dendroboard.com. Just haven't had the time to actually setup a viv for the frogs. Can't wait to actually do it though, the more research I do the more I want to do with the viv.

The frogs should be fine with a 5 yr old. They aren't toxic in captivity, you can find pics all over the net of people holding their frogs (not that you should since it's detrimental to the frogs anyway).

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Problem with keeping snakes on soil based substrates in captivity is that they tend to get infections ( from what I've been told ) but you should research it.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ive had one for 5 mo.s or so it was a 50 gallon pentagon with 1/3rd water, with tons mollys and danios, baby snapper, baby painted trutle. The land part was compose of driftwood and park with a day gecko, common gecko, and a red-eyed tree frog, it was like a freshwater reef in the sense of all the diffent components

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: