• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
I Have many fish and coral colonies from them and they are very healthy. Perhaps there was an isolated Problem with the fish loss you experienced but not definitely a consistent Problem with the store.
I have seen so many LFS come and go. I hope they will continue to do well.

They do look happy in the store. And the prices ar good fish and coral. It's when you get your fish home and they start dying. You start to wonder if something is wrong with your tank. I'd rather pay a little extra to if my fish is going to hang around. I've had numerous of people tell me they lost fish from this place. If you're not having a problem then you're fortunate.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
They do look happy in the store. And the prices ar good fish and coral. It's when you get your fish home and they start dying. You start to wonder if something is wrong with your tank. I'd rather pay a little extra to if my fish is going to hang around. I've had numerous of people tell me they lost fish from this place. If you're not having a problem then you're fortunate.

alot of our fish are from there also some corals. everything is fine and fat and healthy. maybe its just your tank.?

ssdawood

Advanced Reefer
I thought you acclimated till the salinity in the bucket matches your tank. It has nothing to do with time. If this store salinity for fish is 1.20 then you drip it till it matches the salinity of your tank.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
30 minutes if that here lol

Don't do this . .

I drove home (20 minutes), emptied the bag in a small bucket, poured the fish into a net (straining the water) and put the fish into 2 different tanks - no acclimation.

I bought:

8 Chromis (famous for dying on first day)
1 Bicolor Blenny
2 butterfy fish
1 wild caught true percula clownish

All alive, eating and well.

House

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
If I can give you a little advice. For a beginner and you are just starting to buy fish. Pick a LFS that you like.Test they salinity usually they water can be 1.18- 1.25. Now try to get your tank close to that. So if Max Reef was 1.20 and your tank is 1.25. The most you can go up in 24 hours should be 1.22. Other than that the fish will be under stress. Some fish can with stand it better than others. Temperature is next important thing. Flow bag about 20 mins. After 15 min by slowly adding a little amount of your water to bag and remove same amount you added. Than put fish in your tank. Than later on you can slowly bring your tank to where you want it. I'm a believer in Qt tank. But if you don't ask LFS to hold the fishes for you for a week. Other thing buy hardy fish in beginning try to stay away from fish are prone to parasites or ick. Even a pro starting a new tank with new fish isn't easy. All it takes is one sick fish to wipe out the tank. I happen to think Max Reef has pretty good fish. But it is you that picks out the fish so make sure he's eating and belly looks full and Finns not clammy. Even if you don't see white spots on body. Parasites can be inside fish gills so watch breathing of fish.

ScubaDre

Experienced Reefer
First visit...

Who would have thought the best aquarium on the planet is only 15 minutes from me. Very helpful, lots of advice (now I know what direction I want to go with my tank), the BEST inventory at the BEST prices... very impressed. Now maybe next time I will bring some cash with me, oops, tomorrow.

Archreefer

Experienced Reefer
I love this store. I drive 2 1/2 hrs to get there from PA. I've never had a problem with any fish or corals I buy there. After the LONG ride home I float for 20 min thes give a 1 to 1 1/2 hr dip in Para Guard with an air stone then right into the DT. Can't wait for the next trip out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: