• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My friend gave me a torch and as soon as I put it in my tank my peppermint shrimp started tearing it up and feasting on it. I put it in a ziploc bag inside the tank with holes in it because i couldn't return it right away, but I plan on doing so asap. Has anyone had any trouble with peppermint shrimp eating any other corals? I don't want to get other corals in the future and have them suffer the same fate as the torch.

P.S. i've had zoas, frogspawn, duncan, acan, tractophylia, mushrooms and leathers and he has not touched any of those.

sil3ncio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i recently saw my peppermint shrimp tearing away at my frogspawn.....he's in a container in the tank now, don't know what to do with him.....I saw him doing this at night, haven't seen him do it to any other coral in the tank....maybe he was the one that killed my anemone, but never saw him do anything to it...

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Seconds after i placed it in the tank he rushed over and started ripping tentacles off and eating them!!! i knocked him off several times when i realized what was happening and he kept trying to get back to the torch but he had already destroyed 5-6 tentacles so i took it out of the tank and placed it in the "security" bag. I told the friend I got it from and he said that maybe because it was such a small torch frag he thought it was an aptasia?

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
p.s. After reading about the shrimp many friends and websites said that they hide all day and come out at night. Mine is out all day running around and harmlessly getting into anything it can (until the torch incident), and at night he becomes even more active and starts swimming all around the tank! I don't think he ever sleeps!!

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
attachment.php

Role Reversal in my tank.LOL

I had a peppermint who would eat acans. They will eat coral if hungry enough

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got home from work last night and my duncan was completely closed up which i have never seen since I got it. I thought it might be the shrimp, but needed evidence so I watched it for a few minutes and sure enough i saw him go over to it and start trying to dig into the opening of the duncan!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I had a peppermint do the same thing with a torch before. They're more likely to do it when they're hungry and have nothing to fear.
I also find the peppermints much more submissive and hiding when adding a skunk cleaner shrimp. The cleaner will chase the peppermint away from my experience.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had a peppermint do the same thing with a torch before. They're more likely to do it when they're hungry and have nothing to fear.
I also find the peppermints much more submissive and hiding when adding a skunk cleaner shrimp. The cleaner will chase the peppermint away from my experience.

Will there be any aggression issues between the two of them once I add the cleaner shrimp because of the small size of my 29gal tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: