kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Pets Warehouse charges $25 for sea hares, and doesn't give you credit when you return them... I needed one, so I'm biting the bullet, and passing him on for free. Just got him today, and he has A LOT of munching to do in my 90 gallon... So it'll be at least a few days before he's ready to move on.

Here's the deal- You pick it up from who ever has it, for free- but you give your word that it'll only be passed onto other people in Manhattan Reefs who post on this thread- FOR FREE when it's done cleaning your tank. If you're unable to find someone else to pass it on to (or anyone else in the chain can't find the next person) it must be delivered back to me- or paid for ($25). If you kill him, you owe me $25 by check, cash, or paypal (paypal is preferred).

Call dibs on this thread, and we'll establish the chain.

Edit: Please post your address (at least your town AND zipcode) when you call dibs- so that we can adjust the list to keep the travel time down.

Also, please- NO PRIVATE MESSAGES IN REFERENCE TO CALLING DIBS. Keep it all on this thread so everyone knows where the sea hare is, and where it's going.

I will post a map of the sea hare's route, and keep this first post updated with it.
Location overrides the order of calling dibs. But remember- if you end up unable to pass it along, you MUST deliver it back to me in Bellmore, NY.
Since there was so much interest in this... and I have such a massive amount of GHA... I got a second Sea Hare.

So, here's the itinerary-

Hugh Heffer-
1. My house in Bellmore to
2. michael birnbaum in East Meadow to
3. Mattl22 in Garden City
4. jcolon in West Babylon

heffer.jpg

Rodger Rabbit
1. My house in Bellmore
2. vdub-reef in Brooklyn

NewBitmapImage.jpg

To those on the list, and those interested in being added- please post a picture of your tank, so I can be sure the thing won't go to your place to starve. They can consume a quart of macro algae in a week- and these are full sized, 5 inch adults. If you don't have that much algae, please just get a Mexican Turbo Snail instead.

By the way, this is "Hugh Heffer".

IMG_0771.jpg

Last edited:

kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
This sea hare seems to eat cyano too... But it's probably just because there's a lot of micro algae in the sandbed. Not sure if he's going after it on purpose.

The hair algae in my tank is totally out of control, so I won't be passing him on for a few days (maybe even more than a week). My CUC isn't due from ReefCleaners until Wednesday- so at the moment he's the ONLY thing cleaning my 90 gallon.

I'm glad to see there's so much interest in this. For the sake of convenience for everyone, and the well-being of the animal- would everyone agree that we should attempt to pass him on as locally as possible? For example- The first two people who called dibs are from Brooklyn and East Meadow, respectively. East Meadow is 10 minutes from Bellmore, whereas Brooklyn is 40 minutes away. Instead of it making the trip 40 minutes to Bklyn then 40 minutes back to East Meadow... It should go Bellmore-> East Meadow->Bklyn which is a total travel time = 50 minutes over two trips.

So... I'll edit the first post to reflect this: Please post your address (at least your town AND zipcode) when you call dibs- so that we can adjust the list to keep the travel time down.

Also, please- NO PRIVATE MESSAGES IN REFERENCE TO CALLING DIBS. Keep it all on this thread so everyone knows where the sea hare is, and where it's going.

I will post a map of the sea hare's route, and keep this first post updated with it. Location overrides the order of calling dibs. But remember- if you end up unable to pass it along, you MUST deliver it back to me in Bellmore, NY.

map.jpg

By the way, his name is "Hugh Heffer".

IMG_0771.jpg

Last edited:

ScorpionSys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In my knowledge sea hares are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry and don't adjust to change very well. The constant moving while will keep it free from starvation will most likely lead to its death. GHA 99% of the time means bad water params just drop it in a tank where it's not just a little Nitrate, Phosphate problem and i doubt it would last the day. Maybe each person could post their water params and possibly a pic of tank. Also maybe a proper drip acclimation guide posted could help the poor critters commitment to a hard life of servitude.

Don't get me wrong it's a great idea and many can potentially benefit many but unless you cure the cause the clean up effort is going to be a revolving door.

kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
In my knowledge sea hares are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry and don't adjust to change very well. The constant moving while will keep it free from starvation will most likely lead to its death. GHA 99% of the time means bad water params just drop it in a tank where it's not just a little Nitrate, Phosphate problem and i doubt it would last the day. Maybe each person could post their water params and possibly a pic of tank. Also maybe a proper drip acclimation guide posted could help the poor critters commitment to a hard life of servitude.

Don't get me wrong it's a great idea and many can potentially benefit many but unless you cure the cause the clean up effort is going to be a revolving door.

Good call. Everyone should know that a 2-3 hour drip acclimation is pretty standard with these guys. Also, they can't tolerate rough currents because they're lagoon animals... They're extremely prone to damage/death by power heads, so shutting off any power heads that you can while it's working is a good idea. If you can't shut them off, try to reduce power, and wrap them in a media bag to prevent the sea hare from getting in there.

You should have very low nitrates and phosphates- NO AMMONIA and NO NITRITE. They are VERY sensitive to water fluctuations- so if you're not sure your cycle has already happened, don't get a sea hare.

When in danger, it will expel non-toxic purple ink (according to Dr. Ron Shimek, it's non-toxic). If even more stressed, it will expel it's own digestive tract and retreat into the rocks for a day or two to heal. They have an internal shell, so if you see a stinky dead ball of mush in your tank- it may just be the guts. Be sure to feel for a shell before tossing it out so you can verify if it's the animal or not.

kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Since there was so much interest in this... and I have such a massive amount of GHA... I got a second Sea Hare.

So, here's the itinerary-

Hugh Heffer-
1. My house in Bellmore to
2. michael birnbaum in East Meadow to
3. Mattl22 in Garden City
4. jcolon in West Babylon

heffer.jpg

Rodger Rabbit
1. My house in Bellmore
2. vdub-reef in Brooklyn

NewBitmapImage.jpg

To those on the list, and those interested in being added- please post a picture of your tank, so I can be sure the thing won't go to your place to starve. They can consume a quart of macro algae in a week- and these are full sized, 5 inch adults. If you don't have that much algae, please just get a Mexican Turbo Snail instead.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: