Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hi all, some of you know me most of you dont. For those of you that dont my name is John and im from Long Island. I have been on this site for about two and a half years now but have not posted a tank thread until now being that i never had a camera and just upgraded my phone to the iPhone which has a pretty good camera. I've kept fish fish since I was 5 (im 20 now) and ive had a reef for the past 5 years slowly working my way up from simple stuff to what i have now. I have three tanks: a 90 reef, 65 fish only and a 30 fresh but I will leave the fresh out of this thread. Some of the pics are before i re-did the tank but the main tank shot is the most recent being that i took it today. I have to give a bit of a shout out to my dad, I am a college student dorming away at St. Johns University and he does a pretty good job of taking care of all the tanks while I am away, possibly deserving more credit than i actually give him only being able to see them every 3-5 weeks pending when I come home.

90 Reef:
Equipment:
lit by a 4 bulb tek unit
ASM G1 skimmer
Mag Drive 3 return pump
Vortech MP40wES for circulation
20 gal sump with chaeto
and 2 marineland heaters and a JBJ Cbreeze mini air mover controlled by a ranco temp controller to take care of the temp of the tank keeping at a constant 78-79
Both tanks have a 15W Aqua UV Advantage 2000+ sterilizer's in line with the return pumps

I use Esv calcium and Strontium, Brightwell Aquatics Magnesium and Seachem Alk Buffer for supplementation

Fish:
Yellow Tang, Mandarin, Female Bellus Angel, Male/Female Hi-fin Anthias pair, Blue eyed Cardinal Pair, Yasa Goby, and a Peppermint Hog

The 65 Has a wet dry filtration system with a mag 5 return pump, a koralia 1450 and a moded maxijet for circulation with a ASM Mini-G skimmer

Fish: Heniochus, Hippo Tang, Rock Beauty, and Maroon Clown

Attachments

• cent shot.jpg
    cent shot.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 478
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 488
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 485
  • leather,peppermint hog.jpg
    leather,peppermint hog.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 483
  • fem hifin anthias.jpg
    fem hifin anthias.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 479
  • full tank shot 2.jpg
    full tank shot 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 484
  • green stylo.jpg
    green stylo.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 479
  • ausie maze favia.jpg
    ausie maze favia.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 481
  • ausie favia.jpg
    ausie favia.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 481
  • blue eye cardinal pair.jpg
    blue eye cardinal pair.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 481
  • magma chalice.jpg
    magma chalice.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 476
  • sps.jpg
    sps.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 476
  • lobo,scoly.jpg
    lobo,scoly.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 474
  • ultra red palys.jpg
    ultra red palys.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 481
  • fem bellus angel.jpg
    fem bellus angel.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 65 tank thread.jpg
    65 tank thread.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 478

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
that is the ora red planet, my second favorite coral in the tank next to the Ausie pink/green Lobo/scolly i havnt totally figured out what it is yet. The white is a mix of growth tips and recovery from being fragged

nice reef, that red sps look good, but are thse white spots die off or did u frag it?

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
the mag 3 is a little slow, but i feel that a bigger pump would be too much. it works perfect with the uv sterilizer, if i had a larger pump i would have to split the lines or put it on a separate pump. the flow coming out of the nozzle in the tank is probably somewhere between 200 and 250 gph if i had to give it a rating. the flow within the tank is controlled by the vortech pretty well

Hey John how is the water flow on your 90G going for you from using a mag 3 as your return pump?

Btw nice tank and like the rock work too =)

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
thanks man that was actually my fourth go at it over the course of the 2 years being set up. i decided to order 8 feet of half inch acrylic rods from usplastics.com and drill and place the rock in the tank with the rods. i only ended up using about 10 inches of the rod so if anyone needs acrylic rods and a drill bit for their tank let me know and i can facilitate that need....apparently lace rock is harder to drill than calcium carb based rock

nice tank loving the aquascape

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Adam (poland spring for those of you that dont know who adam is) here is all of my zoas/pallys most of which are from you and some others, i may have gotten a little pic crazy. the rastas, red/purple hornets took off and are doing amazing. the rest are growing ever so slowly, if not at all (the candy apple red, blue hornets, nightmares and chongbongs)

Attachments

• green hairy shroom.jpg
    green hairy shroom.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 144
  • green millie.jpg
    green millie.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 141
  • hollywood stunner, king midas, AOG.jpg
    hollywood stunner, king midas, AOG.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 143
  • nuke green.jpg
    nuke green.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 142
  • red hornets.jpg
    red hornets.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 142
  • sunny d.jpg
    sunny d.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 144
  • tubs blue.jpg
    tubs blue.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 144
  • jason fox goni.jpg
    jason fox goni.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 142
  • acans.jpg
    acans.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 144

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: