NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i got a 24g ap from a fellow member, tank was drilled which is a plus for my for what i am wanting to do, tank will mainly be sps with a few of my zoa's i am keeping. i will post picture's of what i have done. almost have everything i need cept a few plumbing parts, tank currently has a 1\2 drain which i plan to open to a 3\4 or a 1". i took the factory plate out where the filter area is to open tank up more. { already hating down grading tank size } plan to use my 1\2 seaswirl for my return and only water movement pushing around 300 gph. going bare bottom :shhh: but with a dsb in my sump and using my phos and carbon reactor. a little lr and chaeto sp ?. also ggetting a orbit 150w hqi mh from another fellow reefer. bought a bathroom sink cabinet as my stand $69 :biggrin: will liquid nail all seams, plan to have bottom black band of tank below stand top with a small area to collect and drain water back into sump in case of a over flow :idea:. will post more with pictures

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
24g

ok i got my acjr with direct 8 ph phone ect, going to have 2 sumps one with my skimmer and phos reactor hanging on it second will be for a dsb and lr, it will be fed from other sump and drain back into main sump. more to come tommorrow with photo's as the switch starts then

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my 24

ok now that i done the switch over, i just have to slide old tank out of the way and slide nano into place, what a differance mh make, i definately will have to add more flow

Attachments

• me 380.jpg
    me 380.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 501
  • me 381.jpg
    me 381.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 501
  • me 383.jpg
    me 383.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 497
  • me 384.jpg
    me 384.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 545

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
new 24

ok now everything but the ac jr is hooked up and running, i must say i do like the color that the mh give corals. ended up having to add a few internal pumps for more flow, water is still a little cloudy, and hopefully everything settles down in next few days.

Attachments

• me 387.jpg
    me 387.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 480
  • me 385.jpg
    me 385.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 472
  • me 379.jpg
    me 379.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 472

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my 24

ok now that i am on 2 weeks of the tank {will update with photo's} thing's are really starting to improve. some of my sps that looked like goners are coloring back up and corals never looked better softies and sps. ph has steadily been between 8.50-8.66 from day to night, been turning dsb tanks light on for 10 hr's a day opposite of mh. been using red sea coral pro salt { ty jim } have done 2 5g water changes so far, still need to hook ato up, ordered a prime 1\10th hp chiller should be here wed for my b-day :), tank temps have been going from 77 - 84, i have a desktop fan blowing on top of tank water to help with heat, plan to get a fan to install on the ballast side of light fixture. but happy so far. this will be my on running diary of my tank :hug:

Attachments

• me 499.jpg
    me 499.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 358

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my 24

ok i finally recieved my chiller going to hook it up today, like the fact it has a plug in for a heater also and it controlled by the chiller as well. also got a rose tip anenome for my b-day. loving the color with the green base in it, hopefully it stays put, has for the last 4 days

Attachments

• me 550.jpg
    me 550.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 259
  • me 547.jpg
    me 547.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 261

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my 24

ok after my first treatment for redbugs things are looking pretty good, my acro's polyps are finally starting to come out, love the chiller, keeping temp within 1 degree, corals are coloring up and reef life is good :hug:

Attachments

• me 609.jpg
    me 609.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 242

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my 24g

ok i decided to switch out lighting to a 250w mh, some of my sps need a stronger light and plan to get a 24x24x24 tank within the next few months anyways, built a canopy for it and plan to change the bolts holding the light out at a later date so i can raise and lower the fixture up to 4" differance, will post pic's later, and cam i didnt think i would be happy downgrading tank size but i really like this and only going to switch cause i cracked the back of tank tightning down a bulkhead doesnt seem to be a problem yet, but it's a reaon to get another tank :shhh:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
24g

ok lights finally came on and loving the 14k phoenix color, what a differance in a 150w and the 250

Attachments

• me 836.jpg
    me 836.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 193
  • me 837.jpg
    me 837.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 192

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
it isnt as blue which i like like this bulb much better than the coralvue or the ushio as far as color goes it has a night brightness with enough blue to not need antics, plus my rpe zoa's never had this good of color

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: