• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Well today my friend(thanks Mat) and I set up the Quarrantine tank for my new arrivals on Tuesday. It is a 150 gallon attached to a wet/dry/ I also divided the tank with eggcrate in order to seperate some of the tangs before I put them in the main display all at once. The equipment running this system includes a leaky prism skimmer.....:irked:... 2 modded maxi jets for flow, 250 watt heater, mag5 pump for the return and a very week 2bulb t5.... There is also quite a bit of live rock as well as a large tupperware bowl filled with sand for the wrasses to feel at home. If all goes as planned they shouldnt have to spend more than 5 weeks in here. You know that wait is going to suck...Rather be safe than sorry...Learned the hard way to many times before.

The Fish list comprises of the following.

1 pair of Crosshatch triggers-male old, Female New
1 pair of yellow striped maroon clowns-old Inhabitent
1 Marcilepsis Tang-old Inhabitent
1 Hippo Tang-old Inhabitent
1 Yellow Belly hippo-New
1 Blotchy Anthias-old Inhabitent
1 Blond naso Tnag-old Inhabitent
1 Fowleri Tang-New
1 Desjardini Sailfin Tang-New
1 Purple Tang-New
1 pair of Melanarus wrasses-new
1 twin spot Candy Hogfish-new
3-bluespot Jawfish-New
1-Flame wrasse super male-New
3-flame wrasse female-New

I would also like to add a shoal of lyrtail anthias which will be added in the near future.

Can you say challenging bioload....:splitspin

In the meantime I thought it was a good time to clean and prep my Calcium reactor. I am using a Pro-cal reactor from MTC. I love this unit and has served me well.

I also learned that by replacing about 15% of the arm media http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=C-ARM-LG&Category_Code=cmedia with pure magnesium granulate kept all my dkh, Calcium, and Magnesium levels exactly where I wanted them.

More to come...:splitspin

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
you remind me of that movie "blank check", but an older version. lol! i can't wait to start working. instead of saving 10% of my annual salary for an engagement ring, it'll be for an upgrade :D

lol....If that was case I would have $991,000 +/- left in my account....For some reason I dont see it....:tongue1: And about that engagement ring she will understand.....:tongueani

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
which mag rocks are you using in the reactor? i tried the zeo-mag but find i still have to monitor the mag levels because the rocks simply do not disolve.

that tank is going to get crowded fast with a fish lineup like that....can't wait to see it

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
The left side(front) of the tank was predetermined a long time ago. I knew that it was going to be an anemone island. This was very dificult to construct becouse a few of my anemones refused to move so needless to say it was quite a challenge to set this up. The area is roughly 3' wide 20" high and foot deep and will host all of my rbta which 2 years ago I started with one 12inch and now I have 9 seperate rbta's of different sizes. Eventually I would like to get a super green & a quadcolored anemone to add to the island. I am not worried about them walking around much becouse they can move anywhere on the rock they want without harming anything else and in addition there is a foot of sand seperating the middle rock area.

You haven't had one "jump off" the island yet? I have four in my tank and they have no problem going from one island to another... :irked:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
which mag rocks are you using in the reactor? i tried the zeo-mag but find i still have to monitor the mag levels because the rocks simply do not disolve.

that tank is going to get crowded fast with a fish lineup like that....can't wait to see it

That is what I was using with good results. Did you place it in layers or did you mix it up with your arm media ? Do you put it in your second chamber ? Remember this takes longer to disolve than your arm media. I originally started with replacing 10% of my media....however with my reactor I found that 15% +/- a pont or two was what I needed. In talking to others it was dependent on your reactor. I would also place it in the first chamber. Hope this helps. You can also place dolomite in your reactor as well. Havn't tried that yet....:splitspin

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Today I purchased my cleanup crew from http://reefcleaners.org/index.php . For those of you that need a cleanup crew these guys are amazing at taloring a cleanup crew for your specific needs with quality and amazing service. You will not be disapointed and this is one area where most people tend to overlook. Here is the cleanup crew spec-out for my tank. You will notice that there are no crabs. I have had many issues with crabs in the past and have seen many of them start out fine and then go wild...:splitspin..picking at polyps and the sort.

500 Dwarf Ceriths
68 Nassarius
138 Florida Ceriths
55 Limpets
89 Large Nerite

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: