ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well as most of you know, sadly a few weeks ago i had a very bad internal infection involving all 3 of my fish overnight. my clown trigger, burrfish, and miniatus grouper that i had for quite a long time all passed in one night due to bad internal bacteria. that thread is located here. it sucks, but im over it and not giving up. id like to thank everyone that helped figure out what the issue was, and KathyC for speeking to a Biologist for me and coming to a conclusion.

So, since then, i have done NUMERIOUS water changes, took all the sand out of my tank, cleaned all my rock, changed and put new filter socks in, cleaned my skimmer out, did everything possible. all my levels are good to go. this time around im not doing a FOWLR, im going reef again.

so here we go again!

Tank:
46 oceanic bow front
stainless steel canopy
stainless steel stand with glass cabnit.
Tank Drilled On Top Two Corners.

Light:
tek light 4 bulb t5 fixture.
D&D aqua blue plus, D&D pure actinic, ATI blue plus, Fuji Purple.
Ice Cap Blue LED Tube.
And Soon a 36 Inch Reef Brite Blue LED Unit.

Filter:
9 Gallon Custom Sump
Filter Sock
Bubble Magnus Nac 7
2 Gallon Precision Marine Reactor With Mag Drive 5
Mag Drive 7.5 Return Pump.

In Tank:
35-40 Pounds Of LR
20 Pounds Fuji Pink Sand
2 Hydor Power Heads
Might be putting my MP10ES to it as well.

Water Pars:
Ph: 8.4
NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PO4: .5 - .10
KH: 10-11
CA: 500
MG: 1650

Future Fish:
Pair Of Clowns
Radiant Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Some Type Of Pygmy Angel
Small Purple Tang Or Something Close To That.

Future Corals:
Well, Whatever the LFS got and you guys on here looking to sell or get rid of! lol
only going for softies & LPS.
Mostly Zoas, Palys, Acans, Shrooms, Ect...

This is an old picture of what it looked like before i took my sand out and rock...
IMAG1115.jpg

And here is the current pics...
IMAG1142.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

zzzzzz-1.jpg

IMAG1141.jpg

IMAG1139.jpg

IMAG1123-1.jpg

IMAG1125-1.jpg

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks russ. I was planning on putting it flat against the wall and that was making it flatter against it...but it never happened lol.

If you can possibly redirect the plumbing to use only one 90 elbow and remove all the other 90's you'll get much better flow from your return pump. That is a huge amount of back pressure you have there.

Russ

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Russ, I'm actually planning on switching to rubber piping in a few days, so i will get rid of that stupid thing I did.

Jerl77 thank you!

Just got back from manhattan aquarium, absolute fish and wayne pet place, got my first six frags for this tank. Orange lunar eclipse frag, magician frags, green clove frags, one red and blue can frag, one blue and purple and green a can frag, a leather, and something else, forget the name, just asked them what it is again, waiting for an answer. Only found about 6-8 months ago apparently. Just put everything in the tank, everything open within five minutes and ate with 8 minutes! Seems to be happy. Uploading pics now...

I also picked up an ati blue plus bulb. I now have running in order...

Ati blue plus
Geismann pure actinic
Geismann actinic+
Geismann aqua blue plus

I love it now! Perfect color combo. Giving the whole tank a nice 14k look.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hopefully within the next few days my buddy stops by, he has some elso camera or whatever and is a movie shoot photographer and have him take some tank shots. The tank is looking really nice but god...camera phones don't do justice...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Looking good Ryan, happy that you are going to hang in there! :)

Just one issue..
Future Fish:
Pair Of Clowns
Radiant Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Some Type Of Pygmy Angel
Small Purple Tang Or Something Close To That.

I was fine up to the last line...it would be a poor idea to put a PT in there as the tank is too small for one..and please don't say a young one, or a small one :( People can do immeasurable harm to a fish - even as a juvi - by keeping it in a less that appropriately sized tank.

If you recall we spoke about STRESS in regard to what happened with the tank recently, a small tank WILL cause stress to a PT and you need to avoid whatever stress you can.
There are plenty of cool looking fish out there that you can substitute that are appropriate for your tank size.
Size & Compatibility are the 2 main aims in your life at this point :)

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
thanks russ, i think the color spectrum looks perfect. so good that when i look at my biocube... i hate it lol. the t5 look is amazing compared to the pc on the biocube. i have some more thinking to do, but im almost considdering breaking down the bio cube and putting everything slowly into the 46. and if i do that, then that means all the luman LED strips would be on this tank, the MP10ES would be on this tank, about 15 more corals, and a few simple fish. its a tough decision, but i think it would look so much better and run better with the color of those leds and the MP10ES.

kathy, ill never shine away from advice. you are correct. that fish will be taken off the list. i should have known better. maybe ill replace it with a nice goby or something. or keep it peaceful and also take off the angel, because i know they are all back and forth with reef. im thinking the clowns first to add because they are cheap and like we talked about, something like that would be better option for first fish. but thank you!

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Just threw in a hammer frag, favia frag, trumpet frag, 2 blasto frags, galexia frag, and another 1-2 zoo frags.

My buddy might be stopping by tonight to take some "real" pics. Will post them if he stops by...

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well i made that decision and converted my bio cube into my 46g.

here is the biocube before...
IMAG1107-1.jpg

and here is it now... naked and empty except rock and sand...
IMAG1197.jpg

and now here is the 46G...

IMAG1187.jpg

IMAG1195.jpg

IMAG1194.jpg

IMAG1193.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1191.jpg

IMAG1188.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1186.jpg

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
now the tank has 4 - 4 LED luman strips and an MP10ES.

currently in tank fish wise:
i started with my clown to see how he did since i was still scared with that bacteria. he has been doing great...
hippo tang
algae blenny
chalk basslet
construction goby
blue damsel
mandarin
buff shrimp
peppermint shrimp

corals:
blue red acan
red green acan
magician frags
Orange lunar eclipse frags
green clove frag
kenya tree frag
torch frag
hammer frag
assorted zoa frags all over
assorted shroom frags
devils hand leather
blasto frags
galexia frag
duncun frag
trumpet frag
neon green candy cane frags
favia frag
purple branching polyps
Sympodium frag
green bubble tip
and probably a few more...

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Also those pics were about 2 weeks old. Within the past two weeks I added another ati blue+ and picked up a 36" reef brite led fixture. Holy moly is that reef brite strip brite! It pierces right through the 4 t5 bulbs... I love it.

What do you feel... With my t5 and reef brite...enough for any sps?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Looks good but (sorry) a hippo tang? A HIPPO TANG??
Tell me I read that wrong..please?

You might want to consider slowing down just a tad on adding things and allow the bio filter to catch up some more as the tank settles in. That was a very large change you did to the tank by adding all of the corals from the cube and now with all of those fish in there.

But it does look sweet :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: