marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sorry, but QT were always setup to observe the fish, then if it shows signs of something, you treat the fish at which point it would be a hospital tank. Then again some people do treat fish during this period, but then you're not QT the fish but treating them. Unfortunate people don't distinguish between the two.

By the way, I have you beat by quite a bit of years, even longer is I was to include FW fish. An experienced hobbyist, with enough time in this hobby, would understand what you're saying and know that you were wrong, then again this wouldn't be the first time.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
They don't QT their fish. GREAT prices and healthy fish, but if you do not QT yourself you run the risk of what happened to me: I lost ALL of my fish to ich.

They run copper in their fish systems, but as I learned (too late) copper will not kill ich until it is "free swimming".

I was told that they will QT the fish you buy from them for two weeks for an additional fee.

Alfred

maximum aquarium puts their fish through a treatment but dont know for how long, the only place that i know that really qt's fish was dom and divers den

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I would recommend Diamond of the Reef, I bought many fish from them when Dom was running it and Dom speaks highly of Brian. I will probably go to them for most of my fish.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If fish are not treated they are carrying parasites. Without getting to all of the details again (covered it many times in this site), if you are mixing fish from all over the world I'd recommend treated fish. The only person I can say for sure does that is Brian at DOTR. In fact, he is much more conservative than I am. Worth paying the extra dollars IMO.

I'm sure others may as well but he is the only one I can recommend with complete confidence.

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Sorry, but QT were always setup to observe the fish, then if it shows signs of something, you treat the fish at which point it would be a hospital tank. Then again some people do treat fish during this period, but then you're not QT the fish but treating them. Unfortunate people don't distinguish between the two.

By the way, I have you beat by quite a bit of years, even longer is I was to include FW fish. An experienced hobbyist, with enough time in this hobby, would understand what you're saying and know that you were wrong, then again this wouldn't be the first time.

I will stick to may and my terms, I have kept some of the "hardest fish" to keep alive for years. I have never heard of or seen anyone else keep an Achilles for over 12 years, or a PBT, not to mention a few of what are considered easier to keep fish. Marrone, my grandmother has been driving for over 30 years and she still sucks at it. If you are going to do something do it right. Why would you just observe a fish? Can you see microscopic organisms with your eyes? I know I can't, so I treat every fish as if they were sick. It has been a proven success for years.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
If fish are not treated they are carrying parasites. Without getting to all of the details again (covered it many times in this site), if you are mixing fish from all over the world I'd recommend treated fish. The only person I can say for sure does that is Brian at DOTR. In fact, he is much more conservative than I am. Worth paying the extra dollars IMO.

I'm sure others may but he is the only one I can recommend with complete confidence.

Hey Dom do you know if he would do some special orders? There are a few fish I'm looking for, some harder to find than other and some just not at the size I want. Thanks

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hey Dom do you know if he would do some special orders? There are a few fish I'm looking for, some harder to find than other and some just not at the size I want. Thanks

I'm sure he will as he does it for me all of the time. Shoot him an email at [email protected]. His store is not open to the public yet but he is fully functional. Loaded with fish and has at least 8 QT/Hospital tanks.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I will stick to may and my terms, I have kept some of the "hardest fish" to keep alive for years. I have never heard of or seen anyone else keep an Achilles for over 12 years, or a PBT, not to mention a few of what are considered easier to keep fish. Marrone, my grandmother has been driving for over 30 years and she still sucks at it. If you are going to do something do it right. Why would you just observe a fish? Can you see microscopic organisms with your eyes? I know I can't, so I treat every fish as if they were sick. It has been a proven success for years.

You can stick to your terms, and use them wrong, but hey that's just you, and wouldn't be the first, or last, time that you were wrong. I'm not sure what keeping an Achilles tang for over 12 years, though you'll find people on RC that have, or an PBT, though I never thought keeping one was hard either, means anything. Lots of people have tanks for years, don't do water changes, have crappy conditions and have fish for many many years. Also, if I need to explain to you why you would observe a fish, after all the years that you've been in the hobby, then you haven't learned anything in the time that you've been in it. As for treat every fish as it was sick, well what do you treat it for? Do you just treat it for everything or just somethings? The bigger question is where are you getting your fish from? Directly from Divers, Transhipper, wholesales or LFS (Online Places). Depending upon where you get it from does have an impact on how you should handle a fish, though I'm sure you know this.

I'm not sure why you need to bring up your grandmother, but if you're trying to comparing her experience in driving, to my experience in the hobby, than you really really don't have a clue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: