A

Anonymous

We found this on our Florida rock. He seems to like algae and I have grown very fond of him
smile.gif
He has antennae underneath and moves around like a slug/snail. He is the size of an elongated quarter and seems very docile. I have looked for weeks to find out what this is but have not been successful. If anyone knows what he is please let me know.
smile.gif

<br>
DSC00033.JPG

A

Anonymous

I believe it is a mushroom.
I would love to find one that color, where
did you get it?

A

Anonymous

That was my first reaction, too, reeflover. However, mushrooms don't have antennae, don't move around like a snail/slug and don't really care all that much for algae.
Like you said, though, it shore is purdy!

------------------
My drug habit cost less, but reef colors are better!

A

Anonymous

He came with the Florida rock we got. At first I thought it was some kinda coral or sponge, but he started to travel around the aquarium. I love it what ever it is, and I have named him Apollo.
smile.gif
He seems to be doing fine after a month in the tank. I would like to know what he is so I can make sure he get the nutrients that he needs. This is my first salt tank and I am pretty much clueless on much of the stuff that is popping up. I was apprehensive about getting a salt tank, but it has been the neatest thing I have ever owned
smile.gif
I hope someone can identify him, it would be cool to know what he is. I will try to send some more pics, but I am trying to find a way to make them smaller so I dont take up everyones entire screen
smile.gif

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
I think that's a nudibranch, don't no what species it is but I have one that looks just like that but only black in color.

A

Anonymous

I agree with DEADFISH. I'd keep it, but keep and eye on it. They aren't famous for being nice to expensive corals.

Ty

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: tyoberg ]

sammy stingray

Experienced Reefer
I believe it is a type of limpet, it just has a large skirt. Very beautiful. BTW I'll trade you a yellow one for one of those!
icon_biggrin.gif

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: sammy stingray ]

ging

Advanced Reefer
Sammy, Nice offer, but I am really attached to him
icon_smile.gif
I have already taken about a dozen pictures of him and using them as my backgroud on my laptop
icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the info, I will do some investigating on Limpets
icon_smile.gif

sammy stingray

Experienced Reefer
Just so you know, this is a guess. I have something almost identical except yellow. I base my guess on my specimen due to the body shape seen through "skirt" and mine has a syphon tube on top exactly like my other limpets. I will look around also, and maybe you or I or anyone else can figure out what it is. Whatever it is, mine hasn't hurt anything to date.....about a year and a half. I have three.

ging

Advanced Reefer
I sent a email to Michael my reef tank guru and he sent along to his college professor. He said it was "fleshy keyhole limpet" in the genus Lucapina or Lucapinella from the Tampa area. After looking for it on the Web, there is not much info on them. But I do know what it is.
icon_smile.gif
Thanks for your help and Happy Reefing
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: