Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Got a few of these guys who came in on a shipment of gulf-view live rock.

Could be aiptasia, but not like any that I have ever had.
Their tentacles are much fatter toward the tip than at the base, look swollen. also, they taper off to a wispy little curlicue like a beansprout that you get in chinese food. They have banding that looks neon green under bright light.
Also (and this is different than any aiptasia that I've had) you dont see much, if any, of their body stalk. The tents just seem to emanate from the rock.

Two of them have a white star shaped mouth as well. anenome color is clear brownish purple (this IS like aiptasia that I've had)

So what do you think? please tell me that it's some neat lil critter, and not the "A" word =).

thanks

A

Anonymous

Does it look like this? This in an aiptasia from the Gulf..

aiptasia2.jpg

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
hmm.. somewhat similar, except the tips of the tents have a very pronounced bulbous appearance... also, there are far fewer of them... what do u think Guy?

ps- i tried to get a pic, and realized that it'll take a MUCH better camera than mine to do it...

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Jrsydevi1 ]

A

Anonymous

OK, no way to know for sure without a pic but there is a simple test. Speed is an indication, touch it with something like a plastic rod and see if it disappears fast or if it slowly curls up. Aiptasia can sometimes disappear in the blink of an eye, few others can. Like I said though, this is just an indicator...

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Grrr...
They retract real fast... I think I have aiptasia here.. crap..

the more I look at them, the more convinced i am..

Thanks for the help, Guy.. =)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: