Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Mvc_026s.jpg

on www.coralsandbar.com underneath the critters section he calls them caped crusaders. what exactly are they? i was thinking they might be some kind of flatworm or something but i had no idea.

so are they bad? good? i have a few in my refugiums.

please help
later
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
i don't think they are flat worms or plenaria. i think they are something else. i email coralsandbar.com and hope to hear from them soon... they move very wierd like. very neat though

later
Lunchbucket

A

Anonymous

Looks like a typical flatworm to me. You want some? I have plenty...

mgk65

Experienced Reefer
Dr Ron identified these as flatworms from a pic I posted in his forum. I have some too.

mgk

MedicineMan1

Advanced Reefer
After downloading the picture and doing a gamma correction, I'd have to concur on the flatworm ID. I thought the dark stuff behind them was a shell!
Are they bad? I don't know. I have Acoel flatworms-the orangish color kind-and they don't hurt anything, just increase and decrease in population like crazy!
icon_eek.gif

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
They're parasitic flatworms. I'm not sure what harm they do, although I've heard some can kill clams, but I do know that they can get all over everything and basically infest your tank. One LFS I went to, they have excellent stuff, refused to sell anything out of a tank infested with the same flatworms, even though the corals in it seemed to be doing well.

A

Anonymous

Yes they are flatworms, however like most flatworms they are harmless. These ones cause absolutely no damage in aquaria and in fact are beneficial detritivores. They won't harm clams, they eat diatoms and detritus. While related to the more obvious rust or red colored flatworms they are NOT the same species. Even the common planaria are not really all that destructive other than being extremely unsightly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: