LeslieH1

Experienced Reefer
So maybe they hatched? ;)

Experts have their specialties both in terms of the groups they work on and the areas they work in. If I had an odd crab from the Pacific northwest Greg Jensen would be my first choice for an id because he's worked on this fauna for 30 years. I wouldn't ask someone from Europe or the Indo-Pacific unless that person had studied the particular genus or family. So in this case, knowing Shane's field of study, I trust him more than the others even though they're all good.

Anyway, I'd be more worried about the little critter being eaten by something else in the general tank than the reverse! With that soft shell she doesn't have much protection. With luck she'll find a nice hole to live in.

From the get-go we have chosen non agressive fish that are reef safe. The only little crab/snail eaters we have would be something like the goatfish. All the fish have stayed pretty small. Our goatfish is about 1 1/2" So.. the little crab wouldn't fit in his mouth :) I'd figure with the way this little one has grown and not sure what it is.. the crab could be bigger than any of the fish I have in there. LOL But, I'll deal with that then. Just hope it's REEF SAFE!
Such decisions over a tiny little critter!!

Considering the crab showed up soon after our assortment of live rock 'and' the scallops... well.. it's uncertain 'which' ocean.

I will keep you posted. Once I get off these crutches I will release it.. so if I see there is an instant issue I can re-grab it. Other than that.. I imagine it will dissapear into the rockwork. I'll try to get some good photo's before the release too as that may possibly be the last good time to get them.

Hugs
Beth

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: