Hello everyone I'm new here, so please be gentle! My name's Georgina, live in Milton Keynes England.

So here's my questions... my set up is really new, so at the moment only live rock and live sand are present. But last night I noticed a new creature in the sand. I can really only describe it as a wormy looking thing. It's pretty small, kind of murky browny grey in colour, and spend its time pokong only half its body out of the sand, then pulling a few grains of sand in the upper layers back down into the underneath layers with it. While it did this, it also moved underneath the sand, across the tank. I've tried googling but no to avail, and really I'm just a but worried that it might turn out to be something that is going to cause trouble in the tank. Also, I realise this may sound a bizarre question, but is there any chance it could be venomous? I have a rather huge fear about things like that so really my mind just goes into overdrive and worries, usually unnecessarily.

If anyone has any kind of idea what it could be, I'd really appreciate it. I've been researching as much as I can, but I've not found anything so far that looks the same.

I've also gained some little creatures that look like some kind of crustacean, but again I can't identify them yet. They're pretty small and rather elusive!

I'm putting my faith in your guys being nice to me, so don't let me down, okay? I've found so many aquarist forus where people are either constantly competing for one upmanship, or attacking people, being rude etc. But I trust you all to be polite

I've looked on the 'hitchhikers guide' but because this worm thing is so small and I've really only seen it makign a very brief appearance, it's so hard to tell what it could be!

thanks in advance!

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
I would not worry to much about it most worms that are hitchhikers are benign detritus and dead scavengers (bristleworms) with a few being coral eaters, there spines can make you have some irritation if you were to handle them bare handed though. Its hard to tell about the other inhabitants you speak of but there are quite a few different hitchhikers that would qualify as a crustacean, but a lot of them are ok to. I would watch them and check the hitchhiker guide as they get bigger and then maybe you could make an id then, or post pics so we can have a look at them? Hope that eases your mind and :welcome:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: