I was wondering if anyone has purchased any live rock somewhere on the internet and had it exceed thier expectations? I have about 50 lbs worth of rock space left in my tank. I wanted to order a box now that my tank has cycled and stabilized but I'd like to order the best possible rock. Im talking about rock not necissarily with the most coraline, but rock with greatest variety of live organisms. Sponges, polyps all kinds of cool stuff. I'd actually like to keep a tank of just what i've been able to grow from the rock ive bought. Any recommendations on where I could buy a really great box of rock?

A

Anonymous

Check some of the Carribean / Tropical Atlantic cultured live rock dealers too - maybe Tampa Bay Saltwater if they are still around. Expensive since its shipped in water but you get an amazing amount of stuff (and the occasional pest like a mantis or cirolanid isopod).

molsen187

New Reefer
tampa bay is still around they have some awesome rock. everyone that i've talked to loves them and says they would use them again in a second. i plan on getting one of there packages next time i set up a tank. the rocks come with corals and sponges and tons of other stuff. they say even gobys and other fish sometime hitchhike in there rocks. i've heard they do have a lot of gorrilla crabs and mantis shrimp though. i guess you need to take the good with the bad. they just ship it to the closest airport and you pick it up there. i think on the plane there is something like a 100 minimum for shipping but fed ex is 5.50lb so it still cheaper to have it flown in.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
molsen187":ckmsw36l said:
tampa bay is still around they have some awesome rock. everyone that i've talked to loves them and says they would use them again in a second. i plan on getting one of there packages next time i set up a tank. the rocks come with corals and sponges and tons of other stuff. they say even gobys and other fish sometime hitchhike in there rocks. i've heard they do have a lot of gorrilla crabs and mantis shrimp though. i guess you need to take the good with the bad. they just ship it to the closest airport and you pick it up there. i think on the plane there is something like a 100 minimum for shipping but fed ex is 5.50lb so it still cheaper to have it flown in.

Don't go tampa bay, the rock is very dense (poor circulation for bacteria, more weight) and usually contains mantis. My LFS ordered it for a while and she was constantly pulling out mantis traps. Plus driving to the airport and paying heavily for shipping is a no go.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
If you want to get indo-pacific fauna then I recommend raw uncured rock from Alor - shipped through Bali. It's one of the only types of rock you can get via air-freight anymore.

I got 2 50# boxes and was extremely pleased. The boxes contained live crabs, anemones (flower) etc. I have now spotted 4 species of nudibranchs as well.

HTH
James

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
I also agree that TBS rock is FAR too dense. They show pictures of them taking rock out to the gulf
that looks like it came from the Solomon Islands, but the stuff they dumped off the barge is like
solid limestone, if it was limestone. It is EXTREMELY heavy and you would think that would mean no
mantis hiding places, but it's like lagniappe with every order, at least 2 Mantii. Is it covered in stuff,
yes it is. But there are few holes in it that I could find, and it might be good to seed with, but it is
base rock as far as looks are concerned. If they had a small rubble package you could get, I would order
from them again, but they are all big all the time. Granted, my last order was 8-10 years ago? So the
rock likely looks better, but looks were never their problem.

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
According to a post made recently here, maybe someone should be the guinea pig for marinesgardens.com .
pretty low end prices, 25 and 50 pound lot minimums, 39 to ship in 3 days. The price calls to me, but the whole
deal just look a bit off.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: