bdirsh52

Reefer
IMG_5270.jpg
IMG_5269.jpg

I am a little over a week into cycling and setting up my 10 gallon reef, I have what I believe are Vermetid snails on one of the live rocks and there are a great many of them. What would be the best way to get rid of them or maybe suppress them as I have heard they are bad for corals to some extent? This is a rock I plan on placing corals on so I would like to do something about them. With how many there are manual removal seems like it would be very difficult and time consuming. Is super glue the best alternative? That is still a lot of super glue and time. Does anything eat them maybe?
Thank you!

bdirsh52

Reefer
Continuing my research, I'm thinking of getting a wrasse and then breaking the worms tube, leaving it exposed, and letting the wrasse go to town, any thoughts or comments?

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
I have the same issue and sadly... nothing works naturally. What I do is use bone cutters and break their little house in the middle, leaving the work exposed. After that, my hogfish and filefish do the rest. They follow my hand when I have it in the water, they know why it's there.

bdirsh52

Reefer
Have you given bumblebee snails a shot? The research I did seemed positive at least that they might eat them, but I think ill do something similar when my cycle is complete, I'll get a wrasse or maybe a hogfish and cut them myself if I haven't found another option.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
I did, I have several, that has never changed anything sadly. From what I had read about that, the people who had had luck with bumblebees is that what they had got were whelks that look like bumblebees, not real ones. And since whelk are carnivorous and prey on other snails... that included vermetids.

bdirsh52

Reefer
The snail eating snails seem to be my best option at this point but again I have a few days left in my cycle so ill update the thread with status updates when I introduce livestock (carnivorous snails and or a wrasse). Thanks for all the info, don't hesitate to add!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: