• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
There is no borax in it. Its a completely inert substance. Why do people keep doubting its use when so many people have stated they have used it for years with zero issues??

There may be a type that has a cleaning substance, but that is why we say to use the original product with no additives.

the reasons for the doubt...

1. mr. clean anything near my tank makes me nervous.
2. i have never heard of using it before in a fish tank.
3. there are lots of idiotic suggestions on the internet that are followed with a few other people chiming in that they do the same (or something even more idiotic,) and it works for them. i don't exactly find that super persuasive.
4. "its a completely inert substance" ok. what exactly is it?

that all being said, it could work amazingly well, and clean my tank like no other. just i have a lot of time, money, and care invested in my tank, and i think a healthy degree of caution is a good thing, especially before i stick something called 'Mr. Cleans Magic Cleaning Pad" into my reef.

anyway, i am definitely going to look into it a bit more. sounds cool.

Cris007

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0

3. there are lots of idiotic suggestions on the internet that are followed with a few other people chiming in that they do the same (or something even more idiotic,) and it works for them. i don't exactly find that super persuasive.

that all being said, it could work amazingly well, and clean my tank like no other. just i have a lot of time, money, and care invested in my tank, and i think a healthy degree of caution is a good thing, especially before i stick something called 'Mr. Cleans Magic Cleaning Pad" into my reef.

anyway, i am definitely going to look into it a bit more. sounds cool.
The Magic Eraser is just a soft foam pad no cleaning solution or chemicals if u buy the Original unscented. I also been using it works great no problem or worries.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I haven't tried them yet but, after doing some online research I am going to soon. My Cadlights 39G has seamless front glass & those corners are tricky to get clean. From what I understand they are completely inert melamine foam. See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eraser

I use them for my redsea max the seamless front corners were not easy to clean till i got them

Rating - 100%
5   0   0

<snip>

These pads are made of Melamine Polymer... which has a single ingredient named formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. Formaldehyde (as the name suggests) is a chemical used during manufacturing. It is not in the pad in it's raw form but does in fact reside in the Magic Cleaning Pad in very small trace amounts. To say the pad is inert is true, but not when you're cleaning the glass with it and it disintegrates in small amounts (much like when using sandpaper and the top layer wears off slowly) and into your aquarium's water.

So much like everything else in this hobby... it depends on your setup. If you had a nano tank and scrubbed the hell out of the glass every day you might seen an effect. If you have a large tank and use it occasionally you're probably ok.

Personally, I won't use it if only because I don't clean my glass. I don't want to kill my pods and my snails take care of the thin layer of algae that builds up.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
These pads are made of Melamine Polymer... which has a single ingredient named formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. ...To say the pad is inert is true, but not when you're cleaning the glass with it and it disintegrates in small amounts (much like when using sandpaper and the top layer wears off slowly) and into your aquarium's water.

I am no chemist, but even if some of the pad wears off, the melamine would not dissolve into the water & would still be inert correct (like the sand on sandpaper)?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am no chemist, but even if some of the pad wears off, the melamine would not dissolve into the water & would still be inert correct (like the sand on sandpaper)?

I'm not either :) good point... I was thinking more along the lines of smaller pieces would have more total surface area in contact with the water but yes it would still be inert. Also possible your fish or inverts could eat it too

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm not either :) good point... I was thinking more along the lines of smaller pieces would have more total surface area in contact with the water but yes it would still be inert. Also possible your fish or inverts could eat it too

Having my tank inhabitants consume the particles is still a concern of mine as well, but it seems that a lot of people have been using these things for years and I have not found a single person that has had a complaint yet. It almost seems to good to be true.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Having my tank inhabitants consume the particles is still a concern of mine as well, but it seems that a lot of people have been using these things for years and I have not found a single person that has had a complaint yet. It almost seems to good to be true.

The same was true for asbestos...that didn't work out so well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: