• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Hello,

Recently I bought a pail of red sea salt and it came with a brochure about a new line of products they are launching. It says that in order to have a rapid grow environment on a SPS/Clams dominated tank you should keep your Alk levels around 12.2 -12.7, Ca around 470 and Mg above 1400.

Those levels sound really high to me, do any of you keep the levels that high? how difficult is it? Are there any risks of precipitation?

Thank you

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I try to keep my mixed reef at
Alkalinity 9
PH 8.2
Cal: 440
mag 1400

since the new "best co2 regulator" that's all digital and doesn't use a solenoid... I've been running it for the past 5 weeks and I haven't deviated from those parameters at all.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i use ther BRS 3 part additives.. i love it.. when dosing as much as i have to and as many tanks as i do, its cost effective.. bc using brightwell was good but costly.. now i am going to a Ca reactor on one of my coral systems but will still need to dose mag and all 3 in the other tanks.. i also run zeovit and it is optimal to keep alk abt 7-8dkh.. before that i kept my alk at 8.5-10dkh, Ca at 450-475 and mag at 1400... a highly overlooked additive is potassium.. its vital to coral growth and color.. and is lacking in most salts..

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i use ther BRS 3 part additives.. i love it.. when dosing as much as i have to and as many tanks as i do, its cost effective.. bc using brightwell was good but costly.. now i am going to a Ca reactor on one of my coral systems but will still need to dose mag and all 3 in the other tanks.. i also run zeovit and it is optimal to keep alk abt 7-8dkh.. before that i kept my alk at 8.5-10dkh, Ca at 450-475 and mag at 1400... a highly overlooked additive is potassium.. its vital to coral growth and color.. and is lacking in most salts..

Mike... I was looking into mag solutions since my system drains mag quick... there's brightwell media that you can put into your reactor... it's in a ratio so it drips out everything you need (except the essential trace elements)

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i feed reactor w/ a maxijet
the only things I dose on top are
mag (b/c my mag drop is ridiculous)
potassium (since I have a lot of purple and blue sps)
I do iodine weekly (2 drops of medical grade)
12 on the alk is crazy high isn't it??
I keep mine steady at 9 and my system likes my parameters that I mentioned above.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0

So what would be a good potassium and how did you determine the right amount to dose and how how often do you dose

Coralreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation occurs when you add too much calcium at one time while neglecting to maintain proper alkalinity parameters, I believe. Calcium levels around 450-470 is ideal with alkalinity around 9-12dKh and magnesium levels should be three times that of you calcium level.
Remember that calcium and alkalinity work in opposite direction of each other. In other words, if calcium levels are too high, your alkalinity levels will more than likely be lower than optimum, and vice versa!
Think of calcium and alkalinity as blue(calcium) and red(alkalinity) marbles in a container. You can add just so many of each type of marbles before they eventually flow over the top of the container. Because of this a certain balance needs to be met so that you don't have this problem. If you have way more calcium than alkalinity marbles, that eventually spill out of the top of the container, this event is what leads to precipitation of calcium. Therefore reducing calcium and raising alkalinity will hinder this from occurring.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: