ben1020

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here ever successfully set up a jellyfish system? I am currently working on a project involving the polyps of the true moon jelly aurelia aurita in school and it got me thinking about setting up my own jellyfish system. since im a broke college student and cant afford a preset fancy laminar flow system i was thinking of wither figuring out how to do it myself or just going with upside down cassiopeia jellyfish. the only problem with cassiopeias is i need pretty intense lighting which is inherently expensive. i do know my way around a soldering iron so i was thinking of setting up my own lighting. any comments, advice, etc?

TaylorJane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few manufactures that make jelly fish ready tanks. Cubic is my favorite. I kept moon jellies for a month or two in one of their tanks. They are very delicate animals though and require precise care in all parameters. Another difficulty that you might consider if you are strapped for cash is that most species of jellyfish are cold water and will need a chiller setup to maintain proper temp. The cubic tank is pre-drilled for you to easily install a chiller.

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The most common things I've heard regarding jellyfish care are: the overflow intake has to be fashioned so it doesn't suck up and chop them up, and the bottom should be rounded so they don't get stuck in a corner

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: