ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If there is anyone with first hand info on the Zeovit System, please chime in here. I'm starting this thread as a discussion based on the system I am about to build.

First here are the very basic specs:

The Tanks - 3/4" Rimless Starphire
1 200gal. Display Tank w/LED Lighting
2 100gal. Frag/Grow Tanks w/LED Lighting
2 70gal. Frag/Grow Tank w/LED Lighting

The Sump
1 400gal. Chem Vat
1000lbs. Live Rock
1 200gal. w/ LED Lighting Refugium tank with MSB & non coral livestock

1 BK 300 Supermarin w/ RDII smart controller pump
1 Korallin 3002 Calc Reactor
1 6L Korallen Zucht Zeolite Mag Reactor
1 Next Reef Monster Dual Reactor for Carbon
1 Reeflo Tiger Shark Pump powering the entire system

Overall Net Watervolume: Approx. 1000gal.

So after much reading and careful deliberation, I have decided go in a totally different direction as most of the people on MR. I am going with the Zeovit System and all LED lighting. After getting deeper into the principles behind the Zeovit System (which is much like a Vodka Dosing System), its clear to me that the results are second none out there right now. But I still have many questions that need to be answered by someone who knows more about Zeovit.

1. Is it unecessary to even have a Refugium with the Zeovit system?

2. Is it detrimental to have a DSB anywhere in the system?

3. If the Zeovit System is meant to eliminate Ammonium and Ammonia by bonding NO4 to the Zeolite stones, thereby not allowing the creation of Nitrite and Nitrates in the system, What is the purpose of even having Live Rock then?

4. Many have said that Macro Algae is a no no in the Zeovit system because with the removal and exporting of nutrients creating a nutrient poor environment, you are starving out the Macro. But isn't the purpose of the Zeovit System to simulate as close as possible the real ocean? If thats the case, how does macroalgae survive in the wild where the ocean is one huge nutrient deprived system?

5. Is there really much difference in using Zeolite rocks by Zeovit or other Zeolite rocks? Buying Zeolite in 1L bags when I have a 6L reactor that needs to be changed out every 8 weeks or so is really annoying. I can't find anyone who sells this stuff by bulk so maybe there are other producers of the stones.

6. If I am running 6L of Zeovite, does that mean I need around 600gph flow through it?

7. Should the Reactor always be running on 3hrs on 3hrs off or is that just until the system matures?

8. Why remove the Zeolite rock when we work so hard to get it all covered with the bacterial chain needed in the system and replace it with new rock? Why not leave the old rock in the sump or the system somewhere?

9. Are there any dangers to any fish or inverts with the Zeovite system?

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Wes on here used it, and know a few other guys who used it as well and stopped. it is a very sensitive system to run, more so then vodka, and thing's can go south alot faster with zeo then any of the other systems, honestly if your looking to do something like this i would look into the brightwell system, A alot cheaper, results are just as good, and not as precise with failure if something isnt right or missed. i have a box of the zeo rocks for the brightwell system, after running them for a month i took that part off my system, currently i am just dosing biofuel in the morning and a mix of different AA's at night, when doing wc's i dose the bac7. i am a lazy reefer and this has worked very well for me,

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I appreciate the help, I think I consider my self Anal Retentive when it comes to reefing. I think over the last year, I might have missed my dosing schedule once maybe twice. So given my complete OCD and this is going to be my business ;) I think I may be a perfect candidate for the Zeovit System because of how much attention I plan to give. Thanks for the links to KZ. I have already gone over the guide and much of KZ's website but the few questions I had above are lingering ones. I really want to know if I could get away with having no refugium to deal with. I just want to run the system with my gigantic chemvat filled to the brim with live rock. If I could eliminate the 200gal fuge, it would make the system 1 piece less complicated to deal with and I could also give my African Cichlids a new home (desperately needed).

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm with Rick, use the brightwell if you are going to do the zeolite method, it's significantly less expensive but all you really need is the amino's and some other elements from it since if you are that anal you shouldn't have problems with your nutrient levels.

As a side note, why are you running a multi tank system off a single pump? You need a more redundant system than that. If that pump fails for whatever reason you are going to lose everything. I would use atleast 2 pumps to run that setup.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks guys. In regards to the pump, I'm not sure how much help an extra pump would be. If my pump goes down, either I'm around and catch it, or I'm not and the system will suffer. My system will never go unattended even if I'm away because I have temp help that I hire for just that reason. Another pump will just increase the water temp and add wattage consumption. If the pump goes down, each tank will still have flow from the powerheads in them. I can also always have a mobile alert controller that will monitor my entire system and send me a message if anything ever does stop. Thanks for the concern though.

In regards to the Brightwell System. I really don't know too much about it. At a glance, it doesn't seem to be as detailed and explanatory as the KZ System. The cost of Zeolite is about the same. I get 1L (2lbs.) of Zeolite at $10 a piece. Brightwell Neo Zeo is 10lbs. for around $40. So its not that big of a difference. The supplements are hard to compare because they are dosed at difference quantities and they are just plain different. I admit that KZ Zeovit is definitely an expensive system to maintain but that is really my goal. I will be running an all LED Zeovit system which will hopefully draw attention to my coral business.

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
It is not slightly more expensive....it is a lot more expensive (than a typical supplemented reef)....Also most people do not keep there parameters like a zeovit system.(making acclimation even more tricky) Just food for thought...Really read up and also write into the forums for brightwell as well as zeo....

kris

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Have you stopped to figure out what it will cost you to run Zeo on a monthly basis for a system that size? Once you do you may want to reconsider Brightwells. Zeo runs on a razors edge. Mistakes are very costly. There's other ways to achive what you want with less stress to the wallet and your tank.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Have you stopped to figure out what it will cost you to run Zeo on a monthly basis for a system that size? Once you do you may want to reconsider Brightwells. Zeo runs on a razors edge. Mistakes are very costly. There's other ways to achive what you want with less stress to the wallet and your tank.

Look at his equipment list, money is not an issue in his plan :lol2: :confused:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
reefer, i see what your wanting to do, the ame results can be had at 1/2 the cost with brightwell. look at pnoy's tank. he is doing the brightwell, out of curiousity why are you leaning so much towards the zeo ? what is your goal ? what is your thinking with the zeo ? why do you think zeo and l.e.d will be a seling point for corals ? people not using zeo will more then likely lose any corals they get from you, your taking a coral from a stripped down nutrient system that has to be ran on perfect par's to someone who's system wont be anywhere near the type of system you want to run. like i said talk to Wes on here or shoot him a pm and ask him why he stopped the zeo system. best of luck in which ever way you decide to go

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've talked to quite a few people that have all told me that people blow the precise microscopic calculations of running a Zeo system way out of proportion. The guys over at KZ have told me that its like any other system, the more you are on top of your stuff, the better the results but in no way is it any more dangerous. Its true that you are stripping your system of nutrients but its a dosing schedule like any other.

Cost of running a Zeo system basic 4 in 1000gal:

4L of Zeolite (6-12 week change) so really 2L a month in cost. $20
Zeobak 1 drop per 25gal. 2x a week so 320 drops/mo or 16mL. $16
Zeofood7 same dose as Zeobak. 320 drops/mo or 16mL. $5
ZeoStart2 1-2mL per 250gal. daily so 6mL/day or 180mL/mo. $18
Zeo Carbon .5-1L per 250gal. every 30days. or 3L mo. $60

Total for basic system without supplements $120 mo

****savings per mo on LED vs HQI electric bill for 5 tanks over $300

Total estimated cost for likely necessary supplements Potassium, Coral Snow, Amino Acids are around $50 a month depending on system depletion. I can use a more generic Carbon and cut my Zeo Carbon cost in half. So in terms of other people running the same system with an extra tank for a Refugium, extra lighting for that tank, HQI lighting instead of my LED, again, the cost difference is not that significant.

I appreciate everyone's input. But the guys at KZ told me when I emailed them that people make the Zeovit out to be a nightmare system to take care of and cost but most of it is just negative hype that gets exaggerated more and more. I have no doubt that the system costs a little more to run. Maybe $200 more a month for my system volume, but I am saving more than that by using LED lighting. I have nothing against Brightwells, like I said, don't know much about it but thats because there doesn't seem to be a full guide and set methodology to it. If there is, please show me a link to it.

Being that I'm becoming a vendor, I don't think its a very big cost difference for me because it is my business. If I want to keep things very cheap, I can or I can go with quality instead. Its like buying a Current or a Geisemann. 2 different markets. I can understand the home hobbyist not using because of the cost difference...I wouldn't until now.

After about 6 months or so, I will see my results. If they are as amazing as I am expecting, I fully plan to contact KZ and try to get some sponsorship from them as a retailer. My cost should go way down if that happens. We can only see.

Thanks again for all the input and advise. I'll try to start up a thread for my system when it starts up in about 2 weeks. I'll keep tabs on cost too, so everyone can get an idea how much it is.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
kris - What coral vendor actually buys frags???? Colonies buddy, we buy colonies. We make frags for you guys to buy. Alk burn? The Zeo system actually runs a lower Alk than a normal system. Thanks for your concern though...dik.

NYreefnoob, to me using the Zeo system will be something different from what every one else is doing. It will set me apart from every other simple coral frag farmer. The direction I am going is high end. Again is it necessary? No. But like the comparison I gave, an Outer Orbit light will give you a gorgeous tank. But there are still many people with money that will buy the Geisemann fixture. Clearly better, necessary no. My system will show off the BK skimmer, LED lighting, etc... I'm picturing myself walking into my LFS and seeing their frag room and then walking into a showroom like the one I'm trying to build. If my prices are comparable or even lower, I can't imagine buying from the LFS. It'll also be a place where people can hang and talk about the newest tech in reefing. I understand the issue with corals being acclimated to my system as opposed to the Zeo system but hey, how much has this industry changed in the last 10 years? I will try my best to let people understand the importance of acclimating they're corals to their own system but I will also recommend a low nutrient system for my corals such as Brightwells, Zeo, or Carbon dosed systems.

I will also be installing systems for people as well as part of my business. The low nutrient system will be offered and maintenance will be offered as well. Please, you must understand that I am not using this system simply for my own home tank. I fully plan to pursue a marketing strategy with it. Will it work? Only time will tell. If it doesn't, I have a refugium waiting and you'll probably see some of my equipment listed on ebay, lol.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's another question, is it really a good idea to use the KZ Reefer's Best Salt with this low nutrient system? I know its about twice as much as regular salt, and it probably has some good stuff in it, but will it make that much of a difference than say, Oceanic Salt?

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Best you join the Zeovit forum ... it's a community unto itself ... (that is if you haven't done it already) ... Unfortunately ... I don't run this system ... nor do I know anyone that does ... so I am no help on this topic ... other then I read all about their products ... found it far too complicated.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah, the Zeovit forum is pretty deep when it comes to this system. I will ask my questions there. Just thought I'd give my good ol' Manhattan Reefs a chance first but it seems people here are more interested in starting **** and creating gossip and cliques than anything else. Peace out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: